Sign in to follow this  
Alice

sibling research

Hi! Does anyone know any siblings of children with ASD who might be interested in talking about their life and experiences?

I?m doing some research into the experiences of siblings for my Doctorate in Clinical Psychology at Exeter University. I?m interested in finding out about the personal experiences of children growing up and living with a brother or sister with ASD and I?m looking for young people aged 11-18 who would be happy to talk! The aim is to use the findings of this research to help inform services that focus on supporting families with autism.

Do you know anyone who might be interested?

I?m based in the South West, but happy to travel to meet anyone who?d like to take part.

Also I have more detailed information about the research which I can send to anyone who?d like to know more?

Before I run it past my children I'd like to know a little more. Can you pm with some more details. Having been failed by support services my children may have quite a bit to say!

I fear this is going to be yet another study proving how worthless and what a burden we are to society by drawing attention to the suffering of our close family. Thanks.

Hi Alice and welcome to the forum, :)

It's encouraguing to hear that you are focusing on siblings in your study. My son has never been offered anything in the way of support. Unfortunately at 8 he is too young to participate.

Good luck with it,

K

Hiya Alice and Welcome >:D<<'>

This sounds like a fantastic opportunity. My son's an only child, but i'll pass on the message :thumbs:

Edited by smileymab

Hi Alice welcome to the forum.Sorry I can't help you my None ASD girl is only seven.She could let you know how poor the help and advise is for the sibs of AS ASD kids tho'

If we can be of any help pm me

Lisa x

Hi Alice, I have two children withinthe age group. one 11 and the other is 18 next month. I also have a boy and girl with AS, The 11 yr old is between the two.

Pm me with more deatails and I'll see what the kids say.

Viper

Hi everyone, thanks for the welcome and responses. I realise there's quite a lot of disappointment out there regarding services for sibs and families, which is why it feels so important to look into the needs and experiences of siblings as there's been so little research done so far. Lucas, I realise it might sound to you like the results might be negative, but I'm specifically asking about the positives and strengths that kids find from having ASD siblings as well as the harder stuff. Trying to get a balanced and realistic view.

hi Alice - my lads are 12, 12 & 14 and my eldest is my aspie - I will ask my lads if they want to participate - but if you could send me some info on it so that I can explain to them that would help.

please pm me for addy etc.

Carol

hi my daughter is 15 and her brother who is 5 is on the spectrum but would like more info first please plus we have only just found out diagnosis so not sure how much help we would be as not much experience at present B)

jayne xx

I fear this is going to be yet another study proving how worthless and what a burden we are to society by drawing attention to the suffering of our close family. Thanks.

Lucas I think my son would think the same about this ,but for years my daughter (17) struggled to cope with the differences that her brother had but now she fully understands him, although she is not always patient with him.

She is in her first year of a degree in 'Early Childhood Education' and in her placement once a week she has two children aged 3 and 4 one who has been dx with autism and one whom they suspect has Aspergers. K was not dx until he was 13.

Next friday my daughter is presenting her presentation on her chosen subject Autism and Aspergers and the importance of early dx. She read it out for me last night and it is so informative! She stated that she has first hand experience of the importance of early dx because her brother who is having , and has had problems, which he himself feels may have been avoided with earlier dx .

It is one of the positive sides of k's Aspergers and I am so proud of her for coming this far as things were difficult for her at times. Her brother is pleased too and even joked he could come along as a 'Live Aspie'.

Just wanted to let you know that all experiences are not negative .

Ours certainly is not and I am sure there are more nice stories out there.

Take care

Theresa