Sign in to follow this  
forbsay

Toilet training and nappies

Hi

My little ASD boy is now 5.5 years old and is still in pull ups. We believe he is now starting to be "toilet aware". We put him in boxers when he is in the house but hewill hold onto everything until we put his pull ups back on. Then he says "waterfalls" and the deed has been done in his pull ups! We can't put him in boxers all the time as he will wet himself (or worse) but maybe that is the answer?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Hi

We didn't put anything on Char's bottom half and had potties every where.I did the praise priase :clap: and more praise even for just sitting on the dam thing.We had lots of accidents :oops: and eventually it sunk in.Have to say tho' if he's not ready it will be a waste of time trying.

Could also try sticker charts and possitive reenforcers Ie ( chocolate.......)

Lisa x

Our son is 4.5 and can/will do a wee in the toilet, but still refuses to use the toilet or the potty for a poo. We've got him in boxers all day/night as he manages to stay dry at night, but if he needs a poo, he'll do it in his boxers, which get's annoying! :wacko:

We didn't want to have him regress with his wee, so rather than stick him back in pull-ups for the poos he soils the boxers. Which isn't nice for me :blink: . Still, I may put him in pull-ups again because I've noticed he's now holding in the poo rather than soiling his boxers. Never-ending vicious circle! :wallbash:

Good luck! xx

We had this problem with both our Autistic boys. We reached a point with each of them where they would poo in a nappy (they would ask for it) but not poo in the toilet. (Wee inthe toiled no problem)

We then insisted that they be in the bathroom when they went in a nappy, then after they got used to this insisted that they sit on the toilet while using a nappy.

We used planet of praise, singing songs, reading books etc. to get them to do this.

Eventually we discreetly cut a hole in the nappy before putting it on. The poo then 'fell through' the nappy into the toilet to massive praise and cheers from us, and once they had 'jumed that hurdle' they then went on to do a number 2 in the toilet without fuss.

There should be an incontinence nurse (Or whatever the modern phrase is) contactable via your GP who will also help deal with these kinds of issues, so you shouldn't need to do it all on your own.

Simon

I posted a similar query about my little girl when I first joined the board and got loads of good advice, so it would be worth checking out that thread.

Although E is still working on this issue, one of the things that has helped a bit, was the use of a lovely little book called "Time to Pee" which we got off Amazon and which goes through the whole procedure from feeling the need to go to actual performance complete with (tasteful) pictures. We got one for home and one for school and stuck a PECs toilet card on the front so that if she needed to ask for help she could. There has been a definite improvement since. School say that if they put her on the toilet and say "1,2,3 Pee" (copying part of the book) she performs to order, but she's never been quite so obliging at home! Still there are less wet and dirty pants than there were before and some days she is clean all day.

my son is 4 and still in nappies at night[still wets them through] took months getting him out of them in the day-had to have a friend to help me it was such hard work-did a sticker chart and had box chocs in bathroom -1 choc for a wee 2- for a poo[did help a bit].

he was still in them when he started nursery-in the end i had to send him in in underpants and he just had to learn through soiling them[nursery had lots of spare clothes given in from me]

still got probs though

he wont wipe his bum after poo poo,

refuses to go to any toilets except for my house or grans-cause we still use the toddler seat and he still needs it.

holds it in at school till hes in pain with tummy-told school he needs to be made to go-not just asked if he wants to go as he will say no.

and not sure how old you leave the nappies on at night-but know hes not ready for that at all :blink:

Hi Rainbow queen yes Char is still in the Nappies at night and uses at least 3 nappies per night.We did try him but boy is he not ready for no nappy nights yet'. LOl

Lisa x

Hi

I am going to speak to his OT at school and see what she says. He is finally beginning to settle into school so i think i might have to thread carefully re his toilet training!

Suppose it will come eventually.................

Thanks for your replies

Forbsay

x

Hello

I have an update on the toilet training front. My son has finally clicked re peeing. At the moment, he goes to get a potty and does it in there.

It is a start and i am really proud of him. B)

Though, I have a question- because he is using the potty - will that make it harder for him to use the toilet? And how do i introduce the connection between potty and toilet?

Thanks for your help

Forbsay

xx

Whilst potty training my As son he wet every single paire of underpants and trousers by dinner time.

But eventually it sunk in.I just had to put up with it hed to kinda learn the signal that his bladder was full and connect it with we we comeing i guess it rook about 2 months and a hell of a lot of washing powder!!!!!!!

Pooo poo was a whole different ball game though.

Good luck.

i have the same problems,i will try that cutting a hole in the nappy,good idea :thumbs: i think once india realises nothing bad will hapen if the poo isnt in the nappy we might start getting somewhere :)

He seems to have clicked re peeing.

Even last night - he needed the toilet - went upstairs got potty and came down and did the pee himself - being very careful not to pee on the carpet. Though he then took potty upstairs and tripped - yip pee everywhere but it didn't matter - just so glad that he has started to click! :clap:

Hi

Sorry me again to talk about toileting.

My little boy (5.5) has grasped toileting though i have a few issues that i need some help with.

1 He seems not to like my bathroom but likes my mothers. He also uses a potty as oppose to the toilet - am not too concerned about this as i am overjoyed that he has finally clicked. He did his first poo in his potty yesterday and put it down the toilet.

2 Sometimes, he pees in strange places - ie the hoover and goes out into the back garden and pees on the grass.

3 I have put him in boxer shorts all day (no real accidents except the above issues) as he is on xmas hols at the moment. The question is though what do i do when he goes back to school??????????? Do i put him in boxer shorts or keep him in his nappies? He has had a bit of a rocky ride at school recently but before xmas seemed to be getting on a bit better...............

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Adams school like pull ups to begin with then move on to pants when settled back at school. your boys school may prefer this

The problem that I have got is that he is more aware if he has his boxers on - otherwise he just does his business in his pull ups...............

Forbsay

x