Sign in to follow this  
DaisyProudfoot

Don't put a dyspraxic kid in a cabin bed

My advice for today: Do Not Put A Dyspraxic Kid In A Cabin Bed - No Really, Don't!! :D

One of my other sons (not the AS one) is dyspraxic, we bought him a cabin bed for his small bedroom so he would have more space.

He's had it two days - so far he has fallen down the ladder more times than I care to mention, crushed a cardboard box to pieces when it broke his fall the first time, destroyed the lid of a wooden toy box (his brother's) when that broke his fall the second time - so far no broken bones. :pray:

And .... I'm still waiting for him to put a hole in the ceiling when he wakes up suddenly during the night and sits up too quickly. We are now going to saw 6 inches off the bottom of the bed before he does that too!

Why did this bed not coming with a warning :lol:

When i was young, my brother and I had a bunk bed (same as a cabin bed?). He slept on top, me on the bottom.

One hot summer night he pushed all the sheets off, but as they were still tucked in, they just hung like a curtain, cutting off the air to me. I woke up stifled, saw the problem and pulled them down on to the floor.

Luckily.

Because the next thing I saw was my brother plummeting past me to the floor :o . He landed on the sheets, rolled over and carried on snoring :lol:

Great things bunk beds, almost as dangerous as trampolines!

Having read my daughter's diary at parents evening, I have to say that getting bunk beds was the most exciting thing that has happened in our house, ever. Week after week of it ending with 'This weekend we put the finishing touches to our bedroom after getting the bunkbeds'

Finishing touches :lol: House and Gardens here we come.

We got one of these when L was about 12 - Ikea's finest. It seemed like a great idea at the time: she was thrilled and it seemed an ideal solution to the space problem in her tiny room.

Round about 18 months ago when her coordination began to deteriorate she found it increasingly difficult to get up and down the ladder and eventually decided to put her mattress on the floor and sleep there instead. It has been there ever since and takes up all the available floor space in her room. :wacko:

One loft bed frame: free to good home.

...and don't buy the sort with a slide! My (supposedly problem-free) middle child fell UP the slide, bit off part of his lip :sick: and slithered down it again in a welter of gore. Looked a lot worse than it was, luckily, and as they airily said at A&E, at least he doesn't wear lipstick.

A couple of weeks ago he tried to do a handstand on the bed and cartwheeled right of the edge.

I think it's the kids who should come with a danger warning!

Hi Daisy

May be you could try it a bit longer, H had quite few pbs at first with the ladder (going down) I put a heavy quilt for landing :lol: and after 2 months he was fine except when he gets occasionaly distracted :lol:(and who dare to think that we never have fun) :lol: .... he just learned to go down, legs first and sitting on the steps one after another.

Take care.

Malika.

when i first got a cabin bed for my eldest, G used to fall down the ladders all the time.

and it only took a week or so for him to try and kneel up on it quicky resulting in him splitting his head :o

the ceiling had a sort of artex on it and was quite spikey......not that we had ever noticed until G's head was full of holes :o

he never bothered his sister on her bed for a while after that!