Sign in to follow this  
minerva

Shoplifting

ok, embarrassing as it is i feel far more comfortable telling you guys than i would anyone else!

We went away to a holiday park this weekend.....my friend works there and so gets us in on a staff discount.

She was working in the shop when my son went in. He spoke to her for a bit then wandered around then left. As he left the boss approached my friend and asked her to keep an eye on him if he came in again as she thought he had taken some sweets. My friend told her that she would talk to me as she knew me.

So she told me, I told my son he had been caught on camera (didnt want him to even try & get out of it, if he truly hadnt done it he would have made it clear lol) anyway, he hung his head straight away & so i knew, took him back to the shop, made him apologise to the boss & then paid for the sweets (20pence!!)

I really disappointed as obviously a lot is at stake, my friend could have lost her job as we were visiting in her name, we could have been thrown off and banned from site (luckily the top top boss wasnt in that day cos apprently he's trigger happy & takes no nonsense!) and of course the police could have been called.

Stupid i know for 20P!!!!

I gave him a little pep talk but i really dont quite know how to make him see what he's done & how to make sure it doesnt happen again.

he says some kids "dared him to do it" but i'm not sure if it's a cop out or the truth & either way it isnt good enough

HELPPPPPPP!!!!!

he's in enough trouble already without the police getting involved with us!! :crying:

sorry you are in this situation. sounds likely he could have been dared. my ds is often egged on to do things by 'friends'.

My ds is also pretty good once things have been spelled out. Perhaps your son did not explicitly know he was wrong. It would not occur to me to say to my son he should not steal, I would expect him to just know, but why should he? Often we have to say every little thing.

I would bet he will be fine now he realises.

Try not to worry....

Elaine

Oh how embarrassing for you :( I know my daughter does this sort of thing all the time but she is non verbal, low functioning etc. and doesn't understand. What annoys me the most is that way that sweets are put at child height purposely, giving the hard sell to harrassed parents. She will go and help herself because she doesn't understand that she's not allowed to :shame: I am trying to show her that there is a routine that you have to follow to get sweets, ie get money, give it to the assistant and get the sweets, but I'm not helped by the fact that they are in easy reach so she thinks why bother with the effort when I can just reach out and help myself :ph34r:

Aww minerva poor you. T is like this, he thinks he can just take them eat them there and then, i have to keep telling him they have to be paid for. Your friend must know that he has problems, also taking him back to apologise etc shows you care..

i think you did the right thing :)

Edited by Cariad

Don't worry think it comes back to the taking other peoples things without knowing they shouldn't.If you have had a chat maybe that will do the trick.You def did the right thing making him take them back a say sorry and pay for them.Maybe in the future you could prompt him that if he goes into a shop again he must pay for something he wants or come and ask you for some money.

Lisa x

Thanx all for your replies :D

I do know he can be really easily lead & that sometimes he thinks that it will help make people like him as he is completely paranoid that everyone hates him so it is possible that it was the dare.

Its great to know he isnt the only one! In fact I know I used to be a bit of a kleptomaniac when I was young & i think thats why i am so very worried. :blink:

Perhaps its me he gets it all from :(

He cant afford to get into any more trouble, as it is he only has the schools against him, if the police start too then we wont stand a chance in argueing with an EBD school!!

I know he didnt enjoy going back into the shop & thats why i did it, i figured even if he forgets everything else i said he is unlikely to forget how bad it felt to go back there & hopefully that will be enough to put him off doing it again!