Sign in to follow this  
Hectorshouse

T's story in the local rag

T's story finally made it into the local rag, its not brilliant and there is quite a bit of stuff that I don't agree with and somehow the paper missed the point about there being no specific ASD provision in any of the bright and shiny new schools, and the HT's were obviously defensive. Also the LEA have said that T's assessment wasn't complete so SENCO's wouldn't have had the full information, well he had had a full assessment and they had the paperwork, anyway thats me pulling hairs .. but atleast its in the paper.

http://www.thisisexeter.co.uk/displayNode....&folderPk=79877

HHxx

My comments to the editor ...

Dear Sir, thank you for publishing T's story in todays paper, but unfortunately there are several inaccuracies in it.

It was not just my feelings that the Exeter schools would not be able to cope, it was the opinion of every SENCO that I spoke to.

I never missed the deadline for xxxx school, I was never allowed the opportunity by the LEA to consider it as all alternative, yes I do have grave concerns about EBD being combined with ASD children there is huge evidence of how detrimental this can be as staff are trained to deal with EBD children and then apply the same methodology to ASD children, which does not work, ASD children then become in danger of being seen as 'naughty' children. ASD is a disability EBD is not.

I do not necessarily agree with the statement that there is not enough SEN provision in Exeter secondary schools, but I do insist that there is not enough ASD provision in secondary schools. ASD is not just a SEN issue, it is a disability issue, and without appropriatly trained and educated educators this particularly vulnerable group of children are disadvantaged. With 100 millions pounds spent on the new schools in Exeter where is the area resource base? Exeter is after all the county town, a centre of excellence etc ... then where is this provision, it is not good enough just to abandon children like T to a mainstream system that is poorly equipped to deal with what is a hidden disability.

Finally, DCC state I had always expressed a preference for xxxx, this is not true, I never made a preference, none of the Exeter schools were willing to consider T as a prospective pupil, xxxx was the only one that would, and even that is on a temporary basis for one term. After that they will decide whether they can meet his needs, no provision has been put in place for T if xxxx feel they cannot meet his needs. xxxx has an exemplorary record for SEN children and those with ASD, this I did not know until I visited them.

The Panel did recommend a mainstream school, but not which one, my designated school was full anyway. I would like it to be known that there was no preference in T's placement, and I was only fortunate to get xxxx to consider a trial period.

Also DCC say that reassessment was not complete ... he had a full reassessment earlier this year and enough paperwork to support this to fill a small office, if he needed appropriate paperwork then why wasn't this discussed with me. A statement is a legally binding document, and this is what the LEA have agreed to when we moved here.

I particularly enjoyed the DCC comment about choosing where you move to according to what provision is available locally to you, I thought that Exeter was the premier town of Devon, isn't this a rather irrelevant comment? Does this mean if I was to move to London I shouldn't expect provision either, or is provision only available to those in the outer regions of mongolia?

HHxx

Ok so I got my ar*e in my hand a bit but ... !!!!

A spokesman for the county council said: ".....We would always advise families moving here with specific educational needs to ensure the provision they require is available locally before they choose exactly where to live."

That comment makes me want to vomit.

I liked the 1st comment that was left. Have added my own, but he said it all really.

HH its funny in newspaper articles how they only use the bits they want to. The letter I sent to my local newspaper about Aspergers used my comments in an out of context way so they obviously sounded more confrontational. I agree I loved the comments left by the people after the article and your response is as ever spot on B)

I've added an edited bit of my email to the editor to the website as well, so as those that read the article on their can see directly what its purpose was meant to be. Am loving the comments already on there, I'm seriously hoping that DCC will come into a bit of stick now :devil:

HHxx

I've submiited my comments...but they haven't appeared yet!!!!!!

I've gone under the name of Williams, just in case the County decide to hold it against our child.

Well Done. wish the nationals would print the comment by your council. Name and Shame I say. Good that in the emails a "professional" agreed that an EBD school was inappropraite

Sorted my dear and ready to read ;)

Carole

Just noticed every time I typed ' the newspaper have printed it as ? :wacko:

Edited by carole

I really hope so Phas, I was disapointed that I haven't been contacted by the editor as well, but am going to email the reporter with my comments to the editor attached and ask her opinion on this, as well as raising the question of what are they going to do about the responses, clearly this is an issue that isn't devoted to Devon (as we all know) but are they (the Expres & Echo) brave enough to really put this story (SEN provision failing our ASD children) in the limelight.

And on that note .... if anyone still wants to go on and add their comments I would be delighted.

HHxx

Just got this reply from IPSEA ...

"I have forwarded your email to Roger Inman and John Wright and one of them will be in touch."

Will be interested if they do follow this up .. will keep you posted.

HHxx :devil:

Just a quick up date, the paper published my full and unedited email to the editor yesterday :thumbs: along with another 5 of the comments added on the website.

So it looks like this is still keeping up the interest for them to publish again, another thank you everyone.

HHxx