Sign in to follow this  
Viper

cycle of obsessions?

Hi.

Does anyone else find that your child revisits old obsessions? Just when you have forgoten all about an old one it comes back just as strong as before. Ben has gone back to PS2 with all the traumas we had before, has to have someone play with him and has meltdowns if we can't/don't want to. Also his obsession for Teenage mutant ninja turtles has come back.

He is also back to trying to hug the poor dog again, just when he thought he was safe to come out from behind the sofa. ;)

It feels really strange to be in the same place we were this time last year, it's like the clock has been rewound.

Viper

Ditto!

Like clockwork!! Who needs calendars!!? :)

Viper,...I'm sure we started a thread on this last year, and then many joined in! It is something I have never read about though, but definitely seems to exist!

Elefan

Can I ask, if the obsession has started at the same time as last year, how long did it last last year? Is there also a general problem with sleeping? If so, are there any times of year that are better than others?

Thanks

Sue

Hi Sue,

Ben had the PS2 obsession for a very long time last year, it seemed to run alongside obsessions that came and went, PS stood the test of time. Then quite suddenly it went away. I think it coincided with his Golfing obsession that apeared in the summer. Now I think about it he seems to drift for a while without any concrete thing he likes, just short term obsessions, then he settles on one big long term one.

Sleeping has never been a problem in as much as when he eventually goes to sleep he stays there untill the morning. He does tend to stay awake untill late (between 9.30 and 10.30) and gets up every day at 7.30. (he is 5) I say it's not a problem as we have got used to it, having a daughter with AS who is 14 and always has bad sleeping habits you don't tend to notice another one.

Not really sure if one time of year is better than any other really. Summer seems easier because he can get outside more, the obsessions have the same intensity (the big ones) all year round.

Viper.

we've always said that when Alex is feeling particularly upset, worried, insecure, even just feeling ill, he will return to his favourite obsession, the woman who has been there for him since he was 5, yes folks, its the one and only, the magnificent, Celine Dion. Being an old northern soul boy, you have no idea how painful this is!

My son does this also.

he hadnt lined his vast collection of cars up for ages then i went into his bedroom and there they were all lined up againe on the floor and window cill.

When he came home form school i said cars in lines againe.he just laughed.Have i moved them?!!! Do i look like i wanna die.LOL

I also on a more serious note find if hes ill stressed or his routine is broken ie school holidays then some of his obsessions and rituals which i thought were long past rear there heads againe.

He too loves ps2.And hes a fantastic memeory for what is about to happen.Drives his dad mad as his dad trys to play a game and theres this constant voice commenting on what is gonna happen next and what he should do.

Like we say hes a bloomeing genious when it comes to gameing.

Just when I thought we'd had the last of the bible obsession which was replaced by the wires he starts it up again! :hypno:

Electrical wires I can cope with - quotes from the bible i can't. Oh and all those questions about God and Jesus. Let's hope it's seasonal!!!!! :lol:

Seems at the moment both obsessions are running side by side.

Hi Every one.

I was trying to explain this to k's doctors yesterday, I was saying about him becomming very intense over the last few weeks, and they said it could be due to the fact that it is dark nights and he doesnt get out to play as he did in the summer !! But kieran does seem to have Obsessions that come and go, but once something has been an obsession then it rarely goes away for good, maybe more like kicked to the sidelines, until he picks it back up again, In the summer he is all Bouncy castles and fans, Now its winter the gamecube has come very much alive, BUT the Bathplug spinning remains constant and this in itself does go on for most of the evening, and has been doing so for about a year now, Before the bathplug he used to use the link lead from liams game, But i think once he had discovered the bathplug he was happy !!.

Oh by the way the phych's yesterday said they need to see him again, as i mentioned all the probs we are having, She was really worried about a particular need that K has at the moment (im worried too :wacko: ) as his new thing is sticking his head under water, i have to be with him ALL the time, And that is certainly different to last yer !!

Ohhhh The way things were :whistle:

Take care all.

Shaz

x

My son is currently yo yo mad also.

I hadnt thought of this as an obsession.But i think the fact that hes playing with a yo you as soon as he gets up and then as soon as he get home on a night until he goes to bed counts.

Its kinda amazeing realy becauses he can hold in one hand the ps2 game controll whilst at the same time with the other hand yo yo is going up and down all the time.

We laugh and say yer a yo yo nutter.he even trys to yo yo in bed.But then the string gets in knots and all hell breaks loose as weve to frantatically get the knots out so he can continue with the event!!!!!!!!