Sign in to follow this  
anxiousmom

Adult diagnosis of Asbergers

As I learn about asbergers and my son a lot of things ring true to myself.

I struggle tremendously with relationships with freinds and really don't know what I do wrong. (sorry... trying to make head or tale of my recent 'episodes' ready for another stab at cognitive behavioural therapy... I WILL be reprogrammed!!)

Have folk out there had a diagnosis in adulthood. But why would you need this at such a late stage? How whould you get one? how would you justify it?

Just wondering...... better not wonder too far or I might get lost! (sorry... had kids at home for an hour and I'm ready to put them up for sale!!! :blink: .... and why is there no smiley with someone pulling their hair out?)

I'm probably making some sense to someone?

Your making absolute sense to me :) It's a shock when you realise isn't it.

Take your time, take a deep breath and consider where you are today.Not everyone with aspergers need support or help or a diagnosis but many people do.There's no rush take your time to get ypour head together and don't panic.It's not the end of the world honest.

About 3 months ago i realised I had mild aspergers but whilst having difficulties in the three key areas of aspergers.I lead a normal life and don't need support.I am happily married with two children and I think I'm an okay mum.I also work.But everyone's needs are different.take care thinking of you. :):):)

Hi anxiousmom,

I think there is another thread on this somewhere? I feel very much like you, that i have some traits and I was talking to my daughter about this the other day. I then forgot about the conversation until her consultant came round the other day. She really dropped me in it announcing, "Mum thinks she's autistic. why don't you diagnose her?" :rolleyes: Luckily she knows us fairly well by now and was completely unfazed! I said I didn't think there were enough traits to warrant a dx, and she actually said that it would be difficult anyway as my mum is no longer alive and they usually need a complete history from one of the parents (preferably the mother) in order to diagnose an adult.

I don't feel the need to have anything confirmed anyway, I'm happy to accept it as a possible explanation for some of my thoughts and behaviour, but everyone is different and you may find it helpful to go for a dx.

K x

Hi.

Its not really a need for a diagnosis but a want of one. When my girlfriend was diagnosed it answered so so many questions that had been burning away in friends and families heads. It gives you an understanding of the problems faced and why they are faced. I believe that now my girlfriend has a diagnosis then maybe, just maybe the world will give her that extra bit of time in every day life that she needs to do her routines, plan in advance and maybe even make people more understanding as to why she struggles to look at them and why some days she hardly speaks.

Even if you dont feel you need any help / support at the moment as life goes on and people get older maybe there will be a time when you do and if you are already diagnosed it will be a lot easier.

I do believe that a diagnosis is a very person thing and it is up to you if you do go ahead with it. If you do I am sure every one hear will support you.

Good luck in which ever road you choose

Anxiousmom,

I too believe that getting a diagnosis as an adult is a personal thing, only you can make that decision. Some people don't feel the need and others need the diagnosis, sometimes unable to move forward without it.

If you do decide to seek a diagnosis then the GP should make a referral. Some GP's are not very knowledgeable about ASD's so it might be worth copying this from the NAS and taking it with you.

Important facts about autism and Asperger syndrome for GPs

http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=128&a=2225

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Nellie xx