Sign in to follow this  
OPooh

playing

How well can your child play with others? Is there any ways that I could help my 9 year old son mix/play with others?

Edited by OPooh

Hi i am not an expert, but just been reading your note. Does youre child have friends over for tea?. This is usually a way you can assess for yourself how youre child is with others.

Laine

P.s Welcome :robbie:

Something usually goes wrong. We do try and invite them - but somewhere along the lines it doesn't happen. And he gets quiet annoyed with their parents then - which also doesn't go down well :(

He does have circle time at school now to help.

Have found the common interest in Yu-gi-oh cards and PS games a Godsend. It gives them a common interest. Would try inviting one child at a time and 'setting up' games to play. If you know someone with the same interest as him that helps. You can limit the time to an hour or two to start, but if the child has fun (even at a limited activity) that can lead to him wanting to return.

If it's a first visit, it should be short and structured - set up a game & keep an eye on things so you can divert attention if you see things start to go wrong. Once the first visit is successful, others will follow

I have been told to do the following with my girl friend, as she is an adult I do not know how well this will work for kids but may give you some ideas.

I was told the first step was social awareness. Social stories explaining what may happen and about people liking different things so they may not want to do what you want to do.

Then pick a 2 player game / toy and play it with your child / partner first so they understand the game / toy (giving them more control of the situation)

Next find other toys / games so they can choose and maybe decided which they like best.

Show them that 2 player things can be fun and reward good turn waiting and co-operation.

Build from this a range of multi person activities. Interactive DVDs are good. There is a Thomas the Tank Calling all engins one where as you watch it you have to pick the right things for thomas to do (you dont press any buttons it does it all but it asks you and you have to decide)

I hope this has been of some use!

Thank you. Have had social stories mentioned before and the school were going to find some but they were extremely basic. Do you have social stories and if so where did you locate them please?

Tyvm.