Sign in to follow this  
DAS999

Dodgy Internet sites

My G/F struggles with social situations but would be quite happy to spend her life in a internet chat room. She somehow managed to get on to a "friend finder" site and gave out all our personal info (phone number, address, email...) and next thing she is in tears because some men have emailed her pictures of their "bits" and keep phoning her mobile asking her to "use her imagination".

Any one know any nice chat rooms or something like a pen friend thing (who knows maybe their might even be an AS/ASD one). She has huge issues that every one in the house "must never show their bits" and "keep it away" from her that you can imagin how distressing these emails were to her! :crying:

Any ideas would be appreciated

das if you use google enable the safe search filter,it stops any dodgy sites from coming up.

That helps, but you can find dodgy people on 'safe ' sites.

Best to get her a new mobile number, tell her NEVER answer the phone from witheld numbers and never , ever give out personal info on a forum, however safe you think it is.

Many people here, myself included find it much easier to converse online that be in social situations, but precautions do need to be taken.

Simon

I think it is fairly common for people with A.S. to find it easy to converse with people on forums than in real life, social situations are quite difficult for them.

I would say many people with A.S. find it difficult to form relationships with people and on a forum they can control how much time and contact is taken up etc.I think that is why many people with A.S. spend a lot of time on computers.(including myself!)

On another note I think I heard that this website now it has changed provider is setting up achatroom.

Perhaps someone can confirm or deny this :unsure:

This sort of thing is a real worry with our kids. We've just had to reset my son's laptop to factory settings after someone changed all his passwords and he couldn't get onto windows xp, he lost everything but there was no other way around it. He's always telling people acidentally what his password is. Not sure if it's a "so called friend" which I suspect it is or a hacker/virus. I'm worried he's given out details on the internet or signed up for something giving personal details. He's so gullible and trusting. Someone changed his password for Runescape last week and he's now got to start from scratch again. He was gutted, it took him two months of playing practically every day to reach his skill level etc.

Lisa

This sort of thing is a real worry with our kids. We've just had to reset my son's laptop to factory settings after someone changed all his passwords and he couldn't get onto windows xp, he lost everything but there was no other way around it. He's always telling people acidentally what his password is. Not sure if it's a "so called friend" which I suspect it is or a hacker/virus. I'm worried he's given out details on the internet or signed up for something giving personal details. He's so gullible and trusting. Someone changed his password for Runescape last week and he's now got to start from scratch again. He was gutted, it took him two months of playing practically every day to reach his skill level etc.

Lisa

There is a way into it,but I forget whether there needs to be at least one administrators account untouched.

It's via safe mode,[when I have used S/M I cannot remember password being compulsory]and the rest of the account passwords can be reset by going into CP>user accounts.

I might be wrong and it might require the admin password,but there is no harm to XP in trying that,and it's better than restoring XP.

What could be done now,is make a new administrators account,and only anyone but the kids know the password,so if it happens again,it's a definate that the changed passwords can be removed,only give the kids guest accounts.

Edited by TuX

The trouble was J didn't have any other users on the computer, he was sole user and administrator. Normally you would be able to do as you said, go in as someone else, go to control panel and remove all the passwords. We went on the microsoft helpdesk on my computer and it said for security reasons that was the only way around it if you hadn't made a password backup disk (which we hadn't!) We had no other option.

Needless to say, he now has 4 users on there with me as the administrator with a password and no one else is allowed a log in password in our house anymore!!!!!

What worries me most is how someone got in to change it in the first place. Can someone actually do that and hack into our computer to change the passwords? He's only 11 and there was absolutely nothing on there that would be of any interest to anyone to be worth the trouble of hacking in unless it's a virus but it hasn't happened to any of his friends.

Lisa