Sign in to follow this  
Steve_colour-se7en

Parents of autistic children need better support to enable them to cope with the condition at home.

Parents of autistic children need better support to enable them to cope with the condition at home, an autism charity said.

While provisions are made for the youngsters at school, many parents are still going without the necessary skills and knowledge to deal with the condition, according to the Scottish Society for Autism.

for the rest of this article use the link below.

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=3862006

Steve..

I think the boy means well but he is distinctly inclined to be inattentive......

Tutor of Winston Churchill to Lord Randolph Churchill,

Winston's father

"There are provisions made in schools for schoolchildren and that isn't followed up by support at home. That's a major gap. Homes are where people live their lives. There's simply not enough being done by local authorities."

Don't we know it.

When we tried to get support for our other children it fell flat on it's face! They ended up being excluded from the scheme and left with no respite...as for respite for us? Forget it!

Its not just a lack of help for families with austistic kids though is it, friends who have kids with other difficulutes all say the same thing forget it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All the government funding is going on sure start and social deprivation our kids whatever the difficulty are forgotten.

Its not just a lack of help for families with austistic kids though is it, friends who have kids with other difficulutes all say the same thing forget it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All the government funding is going on sure start and social deprivation our kids whatever the difficulty are forgotten.

its a quandy i oft feel, no one likes to admit 'failing' and as a parent u can oft feel that asking for help is a failing - which it so isnt!!

suppose its a back handed compliment if u appear so well put together and coping that u arnt offered any help :crying:

i think the help is out there, its just many ppl arnt aware how to access it

We used to have a lady come to our home who worked for a children with disabilities organisation.

She was fantastic.

She used to come as many times a week as i required.her purpose was basically so i had someone to talk to let of steam moan to ect.It was a god send especially in the early days when we couldnt leave the house because of his choanal atresia and then when he started displaying Autistic features.

She also used to find out and sort out for me any other services that were available although i never took any of them up.

I do think though that ultimatley youre on youre own when it comes to dealing with the kids in the home.And maybe this isnt such a bad thing.

Surely too many outside influences would just have made things worse everyone haveing a differing opinion on how to go about dealing with the behavioures.

Its a very lonely isolated place though being the parent of a child who doesnt fit in.No one wanted to come to our house not even family because of the screaming and meltdowns and to be honest i dreaded the door bell going because i knew what was to come.

When we tried to get support for our other children it fell flat on it's face! They ended up being excluded from the scheme and left with no respite...as for respite for us? Forget it!

I went on an assertiveness course for carers y'day - the lady was speaking about carers needing to look at their own needs and not always putting others first - otherwise the carers won't cope and what happens then?

Before going to the course I had just come off the phone from the Children's Health and Disabilities Team who said that they wouldn't be sending details for J to go to a playgroup in Feb half term as his needs weren't complex enough ...despite my saying that it was originally arranged as respite for me as much as support for J - I promptly burst into tears :crying::crying:

The lady has taken up cudgels on my behalf - result being that although J won't be attending the playgroup at Feb or Easter he will be able to attend some older children's activities in the summer as he will have turned 10 by then (- thank you Gillian :) )

But we shouldn't have to go begging ... :(

Yes i totally agree with comments made, and yes im at the point were i have to admit that i need help and if thats failing as a parent then guilty as charged, now the next hurdle is getting anyone to listen and help.The only ever help offered in my opinion was niether use nor ornament but while we tried it and it failed i think they took the we tried to help and it did no good so dont ever darken our doorstep again approach.

lynn