Sign in to follow this  
lil_me

Clothes issue again

Right I think this ones down to clothes, over the holidays my son has had to be dressed more as we have been visiting friends and family which he has hated.

Problem is he is now covered in scratches, he has them all over his legs, feet, arms , top of his back, neck, chest and he has done them all himself. Do you think this is because he has had to wear clothes more ? Is there any materials which might irritate it more and I should avoid, as I have said before he rarely wears his clothes apart from uniform for school and that comes off as soon as he is in the door. Also do you think an antihystamine (sp) would help ? as it looks like he's been dragged through a thorn bush.

When he's done this before he has ended up with nasty skin infections as he can't leave it alone and touches where he has scratced all the time so I really need to do something about it. Someone said to put salt in his bath maybe to keep it clean, someone else recommended TCP but he poured the bottle down the sink and said 'stinks' :fight:

Sorry for so many questions, he does normally scratch himself when stressed out but not to this extent.

Edited by lil_me

Would he choose his own clothes if you gave him a choice? It does sound like a sensory issue, maybe you could observe him wearing different clothing and see which ones make him scratch more or less? Instinct tells me it's most likely to be synthetic materials that irritate more, and wool, but then it depends what he feels when it's on, he may like rougher material instead of soft.

Of course it could have been the Christmas holiday changes and loss of routine, my dd has had great difficulty with all the excitement and changes to her routine, no school and that sort of thing, she tends to lash out and nip and scratch when stressed so I know if she is edgy and quick tempered that it's something to do with the changes in routine or something she doesn't want to do.

Thinking about what you have put about the routine changes etc it could well be, his other 'stims' as people call them have increased aswell, the bouncing and flapping especially so, he's upstairs now and sounds like he is going to come through the ceiling as he is bouncing so much and has knocked all sorts over in other peoples houses when bouncing and flapping as he is doing it so much. He's also squeeling and screeching a lot which he hasn't done so much for a long time. Oh the joys of Christmas.

I think I will have to invest in another diary and try and see if there are certain clothes which trigger this more aswell. Thanks for that idea.

Edited by lil_me

Hi,

If he's itchy, you could try Balneum Plus in the bath. It is moisturisng like E45 etc, but it has an anti pruritic (stops itching). It's expensive but it works (or you can get it on prescription).

I use it on Kai as he has excema and scratches so much he gets infections too.

I'm sure all the excitement of christmas and change in routine would have an effect too.

Kai only wears very soft tracksuit bottoms and long sleeved t-shirts when he's not at school (or he's totally starkers!).

Loulou

My son is usually starkers aswell, he started it today with just a vest on so I have took it off him and to keep his hands busy he's taking the Xmas tree down (removing decorations on it now) he's been asking for it to go since it was put up and he seems to be enjoying taking it down and says 'go' as soon as I go near him so I will leave him to it, seems to be signalling the end of the chaos for him.

Thanks for the tip for bath time, I will give that a try, cost doesn't bother me as long as he doesn't look like this all the time, it looks terrible and he said it was 'ouch' when I bathed him this morning :tearful:

Edited by lil_me

Have you changed your washing powder? Does he have an allergy to the fabrics etc? Could he tell you if there was a problem?

Have a look athte book I recommended before there are some good ideas on sensory issues

I don't change washing powders, mainly as his Dad has bad skin and blisters if I do and both my sons had troublesome skin as babies. I have never noticed an allergy to a particular fabirc. I have searched through previous posts to find the name of the book, I will have a look on Amazon and see if I can find it as he's an extremely sensitive child with many sensory issues. Thanks :thumbs:

Wow.

My ds has clothing issues too and rotates 3 favorite shirts which look totally trashed, my expectations are low but when I insisted he put on a cleaner/newer shirt and pants to go to a nice restaurant (keep in mind these are still cotton ts and sweatpants--nothing buttoned, zipped or starched!) I discovered he solved his own dilemma by putting them on OVER the nasty clothes. Oh well, we were both happy--his comfy clothes close to his skin, stains and rips hidden from view, plus it is cooler now so the extra layers didn't hurt.

I hope your ds's skin feels better soon!

I scratch or rub my hands if i am scared. Clothes feel horrible sometimes like you are being squeesed by them and things like fleece are horrible. it feel like lots of people are poking or tickling you. wool is horible to becuase it is so fluffy they it hurts. clothes hurt. and if they are on slightly wrong likes socks round anckles it hurts and itches.

oreo cookie

Thankyou for that insight.My son AS hates certaine clothes and cannot stand haveing new clothes bought.

As a parent i feel kinda bad because me my daughter and husband all look nice and our son is in tatty old clothes that he insists on wearing its as though he doesnt belong to nobody or that we dont care.

This year ive told him were going to smarten him up a little.Hes looking warey but ive said im going to send for the next directory so that we can choose clothes get them delivered and he can try on at home rather than go to the shops which he hates also.

Ive kinda tried to sell it all to him by saying all the girls will flock to him once hes spruced up !!!! againe he looked a little warey.

Paula,kieran is exactly the same he looks tatty but it doesnt bother him he doesnt do new clothes at all.He has big issues with jogging bottoms,ive bought him pairs exactly the same as the ones he got but he wont wear them he says that they dont feel the same, the ones he wears now are nearly falling apart,i its wash dry put back on in kierans case,he has one pair rthat he wore all the time and i had to get a new tie string for them so he had to wear the pair he wers now,he only wears his other pair now while his others are getting washd and dried and then they are straight off again yet previoulsy i couldnt prize them off him.It must be a sensory thing he says they dont feel the same,ive tried washingnew ones first soaking them in fabric conditioner but it doesnt work lol.

lynn

Oreo, thanks for replying, what you put definately made sense. I also put a fleece on my son the day this started badly, thinking its nice and soft, and when I just asked him what it feels like he said itchy, and here was me thinking I had got it right for once. My little boy isn't keen on new clothes either, I am going to have to throw some of his old ones out that don't fit as he wants them on even if small. We bought him new school shoes at the beginnig of term, he hid them after the first day !

india really loves to look pretty,and isnt happy if i put anything but a floaty dress that she can spin around in on her,but the minute shes in the door the clothes have to come off,im sure people think i dont bother to dress her,my other 2 girls were just the same as little ones though so ive just thought thats the way kids are,i suppose il have to wait and see if this continues as she gets older.

Hi,just a thought , it may be worth checking the itching out with your GP. I say this because out of the blue a few weeks ago i started itching over most of my body for which theres no obvious reason. My GP gave me a blood test as itching can indicate a whole range of minor problems including anemia. i've found an antihistemene to be really helpful and your GP can pescribe ones that will not cause drowsiness. Also Betnovick( sorry that may well be spelt wrong ! ) bring me the best topical relief.

My sons AS and he's very funny about what he'll wear. its a nightmare as all boys trousers are combat style with loads of uncomfortable seams and stitching. Though to all you out there with the same problem i do know of trousers that will defy any kid to find uncomfortable they are called BODEN BAGGIES by mail order company BODEN my son lives in them!

my steven wont wear socks he says that they hurt his feet and if i try to put them on him all hell breacks loose in the house we have all kind of socks but it makes no diffrence

he also has to wear his shoes on the wrong feet he says that it is comfy that way :crying: last time we took him to clarks the woman thought he was mad and told him he would hurt his feet to which he replied no i wont but if i stand on yours they will hurt :whistle:

:wallbash: ###### Bold - I have always used the green one, and when I looked today it is no longer called 'Woodland Rain' and is called 'Apple something and lime' so therefore they have changed it but I just pressumed it was correct one :wallbash: so it might be the washing powder aswell.

It is getting better now, he's been nipping at his skin aswell as there is little bruises. He's also not sleeping since I mentioned back to school on Monday and more heabanging aswell