Sign in to follow this  
lil_me

Advice if anyone has any would be appreciated

I am on the pill injection, have been for several years, it was due yesterday.

I went to have it today (no appointments available yesterday) and she said sorry you can't have it as we have no record of you having one since July. I went for it in October. Now I have to go through the test this week and next week and all the rest of it.

Whats annoyed me is I have been given a prescribed drug by injection and it has not been logged, at all !!!

Who should I complain to as the Nurse and GP I spoke to were not much use ? Do you think I should complain officially ?

Oh and this is not the first time it has happened !!

Edited by lil_me

Yes make it official for the simple fact that if you were rushed to hospital and they checked the GP record to see if you were on meds it would not be there! And the pill injection is important for some medical treatment. The first step is to comment on the situation to the practice manager (in writing). This should spark an investigation and hopefully resolve it. If not then it would be you local primary care trust (local NHS office) who will deal.

Hope this is of use and this is just my oppinion, I would not want you to think I am pressuring you in tmaking it official. What ever you are happy with.

I feel I should but didn't know if I was overreacting or not, my friend said 'Oh everyone makes mistakes' but thats not how I felt. They haven't even got a record of me going to the surgery that day or having the injection done but I remember it well as it my son wasn't at school and he was pulling the waiting room to bits. Thanks for the advice DAS, I was unsure of its affects on medical treatment etc and how serious a mistake it could be. The nurse seemed to have the - it's only the pill atttude. In my eyes yes it's only the pill, but it is a prescribed drug they have 'forgot' it seems to log that I have been given. Just my luck the manager for our medical group is on holiday this week so won't be able to speak to him until Monday.

Edited by lil_me

Hi Lil-me

Look on it as feedback - if you don't tell them (ie the practice manager) that they made a mistake, then they won't do anything to improve their system. You don't have to apportion blame, just a short factual note setting out a problem that has happened is all that's needed.

i would make a fuss about it as it could have serious implications for someone else if its not reported and acted upon,i dont know why they say you cant have the jab either because you can,if they really do think you havent had it since july they should give it to you and advise you to use a barrier method for 2 weeks.

She said they must do a pregnancy test this week, and another next week, then I can have the injection done. Which means more appointments, was bad enough dragging the boys with me to the one this morning :rolleyes: It is the second time this has happened so I think I should say something, this is how people end up being given too many drugs etc as people don't list what has been given. The manager for the 7 surgeries is back off holiday on Monday so I will call back then.

Edited by lil_me

I would send a written complaint to the Practice Manager with a copy to the PCT, if you get no response in say 2 weeks, then a copy to your local paper.