Sign in to follow this  
Sallya

Spoke to his teacher today

Last week, D was very withdrawn and quiet, because of some changes that had been made.He had a different LSA, stopped from lining up with his friend, the tables had been moved around the classroom and his friend moved onto a different table. His teach phoned me last Friday, to ask if I knew why he wasn't his 'usual bouncy self', and we managed to work out that the changes had upset him, because he had had no warning.

Today, D was sick in the cloakroom, on the way out at home time, so his teach came out with him to explain, and I had a chance to speak to her . Here goes, this is what she said

Teach; Do you know why he has been so withdrawn and in his own world?

Me; He's autistic

Teach; Yes I know, but is he like that at home?

Me; Yes, at times.

Teach; Has he spoken to you about why he's so upset?

Me; Because his friend is on another table and he has a different support lady

Teach; Ah yes, we did that to try and encourage a bit of independence and there were a few distractions when they are together, he needs to play with some other children.(to D) who would you like on your table?

D; Only Luke

Me; It's well documented that D gets very excited at the end of terms, and he is calmer in the next

term.

Teach; Well, we'll see how it is for the rest of this week, and if he is still unhappy, then we will move him back with Luke, but it's only fair to try the move as every one has moved tables, and they all need to

sit with different people. If you have any more problems, please call me, and and we can sort them out. I'd like to keep on top of things before it gets really out of hand.

Me ;ok, I'll call if we have any more problems.

Does she get it? Umm, is it fair to say, no I don't think she does.

Please don't tell me I'm going to have teacher problems as well.

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: Oh Sallya ... It don't sound like the lady speaky the lingo!!!!

Hang on in there and give her a copy of that Myths about Asperger's Syndrome that was on a thread a little while ago ... I'd ask her direct what is her knowledge and/or experience of working with children with ASD?

HHxx

Oh for goodness sake :wallbash::wallbash:

Have you given her some 'info' ?? I handed the ASD Guide to Good Practise, some bits from OASIS etc, etc, (oh, and a bit from the disability discrimination act .... :devil: ) funnily enough the teachers attitude changed :devil: she's much more understanding now.

I had the same reaction as everyone else! :wallbash::wallbash:

Can you imagine a similar conversation with the parent of a child who used a wheelchair? " Well it's only fair that he should try to use the stairs - everyone else has to ..." :wacko:

Oh Sallya :wallbash::wallbash: Sometimes it really makes you wonder doesn't it. My son once had his L.S.A. removed and another one put in her place for a week because he was becoming too dependant :angry: Nothing was said to me or son. Of course we can all understand the problems of our children becoming too dependant on particular staff or children but that is because they feel safe. As Phasmid advised me once any changes have to be carefully planned and GRADUAL. She sounds like a 'nice' enough teacher but her understanding is Zilch :angry: which seems to be typical of a lot of teachers in mainstream

As Phasmid advised me once any changes have to be carefully planned and GRADUAL.

(That I did - and that is how it should be done!)

She sounds like a 'nice' enough teacher but her understanding is Zilch which seems to be typical of a lot of teachers in mainstream

The trouble is 'nice' doesn't mean they know how to handle anything that isn't run of the mill unfortunately. In this instance I would advise you present this teacher with their own copy of the Autistic Spectrum Disorders:good practice guidance.

Luckily in our school we have two autistic classes, so any children higher up the spectrum in mainstream classes tend to get a good deal.

They don't want me up in their rooms finger wagging.

However, in many mainstream schools there is a great deal of ignorance about ASD.

For starters you should have been informed about the 'changes' so that you would have at least had an idea about what was going on. Have none of them heard about Social Stories, which if they feel the friendship between your son and his friend could eventually cause problems, could have been used to help with their change. If they had read these stories for a few weeks stating that sometimes children change tables and who they sit next to then maybe it would have helped? Maybe not but that's something they will never know now.

This happened to one of our committee members just before Christmas only the school in question took this one step further and told the child that he could not even play with his friend in the playground as his friend was sometimes responsible for his red moods (red moods equal meltdowns) They never told Mum and her son had a terrible run up to Christmas until it all came out. It got to the point where the child was unhappy about calling for his friend after school. The two are inseparable and the friends Mum does not have a problem with this so why should the school.

I agree with Katherine if a child was in a Wheel Chair would they have to stop using it ocassionally to see if they could do without it :angry: Clueless and it's not getting any better.

Carole

I have got so UNused to dealing with this sort of cr@p form teachers, that I forgot to say everything I had planned. His teachers at first school, have done such a good job of handing him over to middle school, that I'm stunned she can't see where she has gone wrong. They did everything that first school has suggested and it worked really well, he settled in quickly and had a much easier time than everyone had expected. His friend was purposefully put with D to help him settle. With his friend around, D has been getting on with all his class mates, he was doing fine. We only had one or two minor niggles last term, and they were sorted out quickly.

I've got a copy of ASD a GOOD PRACTISE GUIDE, SO I'll give her that and have another talk. I wasn't properly prepared for her today, I've been spoiled with teachers that just know how to handle things

for the last few years, I have got unused to it to this sort of thing (though I remember it from another school he went to) his first school never did things like this.

Thankyou all , I'll sort this out after little girl's CAMHS appointment.

S

xxx

Luckily in our school we have two autistic classes, so any children higher up the spectrum in mainstream classes tend to get a good deal.

Any houses for sale near you? :lol: