Sign in to follow this  
Canopus

Do other countries have team sports in PE lessons?

Hi Canopus,

I don't know the answer to this but assume you are asking because of the distress team sports cause to Aspies.

I have just negotiated with DS's school for him to have private study during games lessons - because they only provide team sports and I thought that was unreasonable for him. In return I have to ensure he gets the 2 hours exercise each week that statute requires, out of school time. He's really pleased with that result.

Nemesis

For many years I suspected that PE varies from country to country. In the US they have baseball and basketball. Baseball is virtually nonexistant in British schools and basketball has only made inroads in the past 10 or so years. I have always wondered if some countries have PE lessons based more on physical exercises rather than team sports but can't seem to find much information.

It does vary from country to country.

When I was teaching in a more mainstream environment I used to train some high functioning ASD children to be the referee. It worked in some cases and it also ensured that they were getting exercise and were involved.

It didn't always work though.

Well I can only speak for Zimbabwe and South Africa about 20 + years ago and I can say that schools were very into sport generally, and team sports in particular: usually rugby, cricket and football for boys, hockey netball and basketball for girls. Swimming and tennis feature more strongly than they do here because of the climate. At my school, in addition to PE everybody had to do at least one, preferably two sports after school.

I chose swimming and tennis, the least team oriented sports available.

I'll have to stop there - having flashbacks about horrible hockey lessons! :wacko:

Are team sports part of the National Curriculum? All I know is that under the National Curriculum a certain xx hours must be devoted to PE during a week and that every kid must get an equal chance to participate in activities.

I think you're right about that Canopus. However, in my sons case team sports were the only thing on offer and they said they did not have the resources to offer other activities.

It definitely warrants an investigation. If it does turn out that team sports are not part of the National Curriculum then it means that kids are not forced to participate in them during PE lessons regardless of whether they have disabilities or medical conditions or not.

Schools and PE teachers can make every excuse under the sun about lack of resources or that team sports are the only choice available. In reality it is just a case of ingrained culture and old habits die hard.

Guest hallyscomet

Hi Canupus,

In Australia there are sports available that do not have to be team sports I know my boy had trouble playing basket ball, the coach explained to me to watch my son he would just run up and down the outside, but never go in to get the ball, he had trouble with the dynamics of the team, taekwondo he also had trouble as they had to kick their opponent my boy would just tap gently as he didn't want to hurt the other guy, football he would have meltdowns and go for the kill and tackle and throw, plus there was a time he was so thin I was worried he would get injured.

Some of the non contact sports are best for Aspies I cant speak for all of them, but over here some of the non contact sports they offer, ten pin bowling, swimming, indoor rock climbing, weight training (circuit) at school - boys only, surfing, canoeing, tennis - singles, gymnastics. Girls most of the above, dancing, aerobics,

Non contact sports are much easier for our children ; sports where they are competing against themselves.

Hope this helps

Regards

Hailey

I have discussed team sports with a SEN teacher and she is certain that they are not officially part of the National Curriculum at KS1 and KS2 level. She isn't sure about KS3 and KS4 because she only works in primary education.

team sports are part of the ciriiculum in the USA, like here it is term rotated: volleyball, gymnastics, tennis, aerobics, baseball, basketball, touch/tag football - and even the dreadded dodgeball...