Sign in to follow this  
Canopus

A strange mains plug and socket

I had a fascination for electrical machinery as a kid and my collection of electrical stuff included a very unusual mains plug and socket. I had no idea what the plug and socket was supposed to be used for as I had never encountered one in use anywhere. Today I rediscovered the plug and socket and separated them for the first time in over 15 years. They are both made by a company called Wylex. The plug is round with a white base and a dark brown cover. It has a round central earth pin and flat live and neutral pins to the right and left of the earth pin. The live and neutral pins are slightly offset to prevent the plug from being inserted in the socket upsidedown. The plug also contains a 20mm fuse.

Has anybody ever encountered these plugs and sockets anywhere? If so then tell me more about them.

I don't think they were for domestic use. I read many books on electrical wiring as a kid and there was no mention of these plugs and sockets anywhere. Before the BS1363 rectangular pin plugs and sockets were introduced shortly after WWII, round pin plugs and sockets in 2A, 5A, and 15A sizes were used.

Are they smaller than normal plugs

The company Wylex is still around under the name of "Electrium"

Heres ther website http://www.electrium.co.uk/

The manageing director is a man called Andrew Kitchen , why not write to him and ask him about your plug.

Edited by Tensing

There is a Museum of Electricity in Chichester. They had ranges of lots of weird and wonderful electrical things from different times. They were very helpful - T would have spent all day there if he had had the choice! I am sure they would give you some info if you contacted them.

Karen

Yes, I meant Christchurch - oops!

When we eventually got T to leave, at the back in the carpark, was a skip full of old telephone answering machines. T was getting withdrawl symptoms, as we were on holiday and he had nothing to take apart - so we had to go and ask the museum man if we could have one. They said yes - we went off and bought a set of screwdrivers and it kept T happy for the hols!

Karen

At uni we had to buy special small plugs very similar to the one you described (although the two lower pins were round but much smaller than the top pin)

They would only take a tiny amp fuse, this was to stop students using kettles,toasters etc. in the rooms.All the sockets in rooms would only take these plugs.

The plug you mentioned may have been manufactured for a similar reason ?

HTH

wac

Hi canopus -

Wylex are a manufacturer of electrical distribution boards, fuses and circuit breakers... they also do outdoor wiring accessories - i think you've got some of those... you'll propbably find they're weatherproof (will have an 'IP65' moulded on them somewhere...

They used to be based in Wythenshawe (sp) Manchester...

Don't know if they've changed names now, but i used to work in the electrical industry and they were certainly still manufacturing 10 years ago...

Have a look at your fusebox... It might be made by them too!!

L&P

BD :D

PS: having reread your description, my guess would be that the ones you've got are for onsite power tool connection via an extension lead... the 'male' would be on the power tool, with the female on a fly lead going back to the generator... :D

Right - who was that at the back who said "Not EVEN a pretty face then??"

Come on, own up?

Up to the front or you'll all be in at playtime... ;)