Sign in to follow this  
mum22boys

I won't be taking it for granted.

My eldest M has never done pretend play. Yes he pushes a car round the floor then loses all idea of what should happen and throws it. He has never dressed up or used action figures to act anything out. In fact the action figures are still in their boxes from his birthday last year!

My younger son R is two and a half and in the last few weeks his has developed pretend play. I am so pleased. I did have concerns about him as his speech was so poor (still is) but the few traits i was worried about seem to be learned behaviour.

He has spent all morning walking little characters round the room and making sounds. he has put them in cars and driven them around. i could watch him all day. When you have not had this (as you will all understand) it is so wonderful when you have a child that is doing things others do naturally. It has made me realise that there is definately something not right with M (we are waiting for assessment). But for now I am so pleased R has imagination that i won't be doing any housework for a while i will just be watching him.

I am sooooo happy :D

mum22boys

Dot is 4 years younger than Com and I used to love watching her play.

one of the best things though is the way she drew Com into her play and taught him - I think she has done more to teach him social skills than all the rest of us put together :D

Zemanski

Oh bless that must be lovely :-) My NT daughter is older, just turning 4 and she has an amazing imagination, always has had so it makes Logans problems seem even more apparent, but she does love to try and include him and its funny to watch him look totally bemused - depending on the mood of course - sometimes she gets shoved away!

Lynne x

That's wonderful news :). Ds1's playing was one of the things that alerted me. He does not play with toys in the conventional way, but rather studies them and does the same repetitive action over and over. Attempts to engage him in very basic pretend play (eg feeding a toy) have been unsuccessful. He likes lining up his toys and pressing buttons, but never shows any emotion whilst doing so. However, it may be that he is concocting fantastically detailed stories in his head whilst he does so and I just don't know it :D

Edited by Bullet

It wasn't until we had more children that we realised just how different our eldest was. Kind of bitter-sweet.

When my then 3 year old son saw me come downstairs in a dressing gown, and asked me, 'Mummy, are you feeling alright?' I nearly burst into tears at the wonderfulness of the empathy.

I too have been in this situation kind of.I watched and watched my youngest after my daughters autistic encephalitus convinced he was going to be autistic.When i saw his excellent eye contact, his pretend play and his willingness to be hugged and cuddled, i could have cried with relief.It took me until he was nearly three and he began to develop more and more to realise he was not autistic.Trouble is i had missed out on all his babyhood and basically the first three years of his life through sheer anxiety and worry. :(:(:(

Brilliant news :thumbs::thumbs:

Edited by ceecee