Sign in to follow this  
lil_me

ITV PULSE - Incapacity benefit

The new ideas on getting people back to work are on the discussion today, I am writing an email now to send to pulse@itv.com

Edited by lil_me

What I emailed. Hope this gets my point across.

I am currently receiving ths benefit.

Last week I attended a medical and met the criteria, so I can continue to receive it.

I was alarmed that in the room where the medical took place others who were waiting to be seen were bragging about laying it on thick etc, saying how they fake illnesses. I wish they could experience what I go through for just one day, then they'll see what being ill really means and not just being too lazy to work. I would say out of the 10 of us there 6 admitted to lying about illness so they don't have to return to work. I would love to return to work, but my medical conditions stop this from happening.

Because of this I can understand why this is being done, but I got a call yesterday from a friend who's daughter had just been turned down for it. She has Autism and is extremely vunerable, has been attacked because she does not see the difference between right and wrong. She takes things very literally and has locked herself in a cupboard when she tried working previously as someone said 'I could take you home'. Took them 4 hours to get her out. She was told to clean a fish fryer at this job and ended up with burns all the way down her arm as she went to do it when it was hot because they didn't say to wait for it to cool down. She runs round rooms flapping her arms and making noises. She harms herself when upset or anxious. These are just a few examples of how her disorder effects her ability to work. Is it safe to put these people back into employment ? I don't believe it is.

Edited by lil_me

I do think it's about time they filtered out the lazy time wasters who are falsely claim incapacity and disability benefits, make that money available to those who really do need it.

There are lots of people who are claiming that should not. Its these people who need to go to work and stop abusing the system.

jen

Someone di make a fair point last time this was discussed, more people off the sick would mean more on the dole, simple reason being lack of jobs.

I am also receiving this benefit. I too think that it is right that the goverment should do this to find those who are abusing the system, but it should understand that there are genuine people who cannot cope with going out to work. There are alot of people with Autism/Asperger Syndrome that cannot cope with pressure and stress and need their routines. You can't always routine a job.

I am going to be talking to the NAS press office. They are always looking for case studies they can use. If any of you feel that you could talk to the media about this issue, then do so.

From Debbie Hudson

This clampdown on IB worries me - we all know, only too well, how many people with AS can 'appear' capable when the reality can be quite different.

Also there will be those who do not feel able to go to interviews, etc., so will automatically have their IB reduced.