Sign in to follow this  
stressed out mum

Son wants to change school

Hi Everyone

My son 12 with Aspergers is off school at the moment with flu and stress from his older sister's antics.

We were doing some homework yesterday and he said that he thinks that the school that he is attending is too 'professional' for special needs children and he would like to change.

He seemed okay after I finally got the eye contact removed from his targets (thanks for the info it work a treat) but he does have a bullying issue being sorted out at the moment and he says that he gets really low marks in all of his tests. When I look in his exercise books the work is very good (even the ones without LSA).

This leaves me in unknown territory and I don't know where to go from here. I don't want to force him to go if he is unhappy but we have just put our house up for sale (he can't wait to move from here) and I don't want to settle him in a new school and then have to move him again.

Any advice would be great :D

sounds like you need to go and have a word with the senco and see how they're feeling about him in school - it may be that he simply isn't being told often enough that he is doing well and is feeling the pressure that is put on kids to achieve these days, our kids need to be specifically told when people are pleased with them

is he in Y9 or above?

Com is in Y9 (a SATs year) and is currently getting constant pep talks in lessons about achievement and working harder, etc and he finds this really stressful. He had a full scale meltdown last week when a science teacher decided that level 6 in a test was not good enough for anyone in his class and told them so - Com was already disappointed in himself because he usually gets a 7 or 8 and even the fact that his was the highest mark couldn't make him feel good about it.

zemanski

Hi Zemanski

He is in yr8. Not sure if he is praised they do have a target stamp in the books that is filled in by the teacher each lesson he mainly gets 6 for attainment and 6 for effort (6 is the highest) or it says ON TARGET.

He gets lots of praise when I read it but maybe the teachers just hand it back after marking.

I do know that they read the test marks out to the class and that is when he feels bad because they his is always the lowest. :(

Haven't met the Senco yet she is new but I have spoken to his head of year and he says that the teachers are all pleased with him and that he is a gentleman :wub:

sounds like he needs to be told his teachers views explicitly by them - this is very important for self-esteem

another option if he is struggling to keep up may be moving to a lower set - this can relieve the pressure no end

hope it all gets sorted

Z

I moved mine and it worked wonders. Unfortunately we had to move again and he has trouble again. Wish he could still be in the last school.

Good luck with it.

R has aspects of AS and is in mainstream Yr 8.

He is in the top set for Maths, and manages all the work well. In their recent test, however, he got 4 out of 60 (he says he only answered two of the questions). His NT Twin (in the same class and group) only got 16. I woudl like to see the test, to try and work out what the problem is (eg: sometimes the questions are worded so it is not clear what strategy you need to use), but at the moment I haven't got the energy to try and get to speak to the Teacher!

Karen

I wanted to change school when I was at school. My mum wouldn't let me at the time because she thought I was making things up and being silly, pretending I was unhappy just for the attention. I can explain why now, but at the time I couldn't. I eventually did change school when I was 16 and she couldn't stop me, and it was the best thing I ever did.

I think that if your son says he wants to change school, there may be more going on than he is able to explain.

Is it possible to home-educate him until your move?

i was so glad when i dident have to go to school but now i am board silly