Sign in to follow this  
HiLo

First round of assesments....Help

Hi Folks I am wondering if anyone can help.We have just received a letter to say that my sons assessment for an asd is starting next Wednesday.This is taking the form of an interview with myself and my hubby my son has not to be present.It says they will take a full history but can anyone tell me what they are looking for ?will it be from birth up till now(he is very nearly four)and any ideas who might be there(professional wise).

The following Wednesday Iain has to go for his assessment and this will be videoed again what happens?

As you can imagine I am dreading the whole process but want some answers re his behaviour so i Know its for the best.I am so glad that i have found the sight as at least i can ask you lot my questions and Know that i am not alone. Thanks in Advance Joyce :D:D

hi there,

My son was dx last year with AS and we had an interview with a phyciatrist and a family liason officer. It was a bombardment of questions that lasted about an hour. The questions started from birth, what kind of a baby was he did he settle easily? Was he restless/sleep patterns/crying? The actually birthing process was it an emergency or any complications. Did he reach his milestones at the correct age? First words, foods he prefered (my son preferred butternut squash and carrots as a baby and only ate it and eventually started to turn orange.) Speech problems, potty training, play. Does he like collecting things (stones) does he spin.

What areas have given you concern?

I had to write a list before I went to the meeting to remember everything because we all forget things so it might be an idea to jot down a few facts about birth/milestones ect to help you along the way. I am not experienced in this department but those where the questions we were asked hope it sheds a bit of light for you.

justamom

Justamom basically said it all in a nutshell.

It's just a chat about your child's life from birth upwards, particularly the time when you began to notice the differences. Don't hold out on them, tell them everything - things that stressed you out, things you found amusing - everything and also how you've learned to deal with it.

Occasionally they'll say - what was he like whenever - and if you can't remember you just say quite honestly, I dunno we've just learned to get round that one etc. It's no bother - give as many examples of any awkward incidences as you can.

Your interview will probably follow with a couple of other interviews with your son - including a videoed one where they can review his responses (or lack of).

When we watched the video interview back my son asked the interviewer a question about her own son - just one - but hubby and I couldn't believe it - we actually cheered - in front of the psychiatrist and all :)

Daisy

Agree exactly with what's been said in the last two posts. My daughter was diagnosed last Nov (age 12yrs).

They basically chat about everything from birth up to now - this process for us was fortnightly over quite a few months with our consultants/cpn, and an occupational therapist. It was usually one or two of them and individually or together for my husband, my parents (who looked after my daughter while we are at work) and myself. My daughter attended the unit one day per week and had one home visit per week by the CPN from Feb through to end of Jul 05, none of these were videoed - so I can't comment on that side of it.

Every one we saw made you feel comfortable and were easy to talk to. Obviously it was different for us as she'd been referred by the Paed. because he thought she was anorexic, but the process is the same.

I know it's easy to say not to worry - but they are experts in knowing how to make a person feel relaxed so they'll be trying to make you feel as comfortable as they can in order for them to get as much info as they can.

Try to write a list of as much info as you can - especially anything you think was important. Just be honest and give as much information as they ask - they are not there to question you or your sons behaviour - they are there to help understand his problems and reach conclusions.

Good luck.

Edited by jb1964

We had an hour and a half with the consultant and, as others have said, we covered the pregnancy, the birth, what J was like as a baby, milestones etc etc. we were also asked what our concerns were at that point in time. basically this is your chance to tell it like it is - don't worry if things seem really negative - I got to the point where I felt like J had never done anything at the time he should have ... :tearful: but the professionals need to know this - no point beating about the bush.

Hope it goes well (IYKWIM!)

Eve

Hi Joyce

we're going to 1st appointment with our 10 yr old son the day after you (Thursday), and have no idea what to expect either !

The letter says to arrive 10 mins early for him to be weighed and measured.

-

Katya

Thanks everyone i will try and have my answeres ready,Katya I hope all goes well with you on Thursday I will try and let you know how we got on and what kind of stuff they ask.

Joyce