Sign in to follow this  
Tanya Glass

the Kenneth Williams Diaries

i would suggest that anyone on the spectrum read The Kenneth Williams Diaries'

Not DX of course, but exhibits many symptons and behavioural patterns not just of As but other possible personality disorders.

It might help people define a clearer picture of themselves, on another note, in palces it is very funny. (Sadly sayin 'OOHHHH MATRON' is not one of the symptons of As, shame that'

Sort of following on from that but more to do with childhood trauma and its effects in adulthood 'Billy' the biography about Billy Connelly by his wife Pamela Stephenson.

For someone like myself who considers childhood to be the defining cause of much of their personality this provides a stunning insight not only intot he effect of all types of childhood abuse but also the effect they can carry onto into adulthood.

Would definately recommend 'The Kenneth Williams Diaries' though, think many here will find it enlightning.

Maybe there should be a forum book list?

James

Edited by Tanya Glass

kenneth williams one of my fave people im going to get that book,i needed a good book now big bruv off(sorry all bb haters!)

I second that Hev, I now have no excuse for the huge ironing pile I have!!!

Justamom

Obviosuly I am not an expert, but the book does show that Williams certainly had social difficulties, emotional shortfalls and swings of depression similar to something like bi polor

He also suffers pain badly.

You really have to read the book, I am certain that when reading his diary entries, many here will relate.

Aside form that, it is an excellent read.

James

Its my day off tomorrow and I will be off to Ottaka's to defintely get this book I do need a good read at the mo.

thanks alot

what was causing the pain that he suffered from???

justamom

Its my day off tomorrow and I will be off to Ottaka's to defintely get this book I do need a good read at the mo.

thanks alot

justamom

It's very hard to say, you really have to read the diaries and form your own opinion.

I think he remained emtionally unfufilled and felt that he did not fit in, not just in the basic social sense, but in a wider sense. He has the measure of people, but seems to unable to moderate his emotions, they swing dramatically,

As for pain, lots of ailments, I think much of it much be seen as an extension of emtional state.

I do honestly belive that anyone on the AS spectrum would gain something, could be wrong but I think it is worth reading.

The way I understand AS - may not be in fact how it is, but he strikes me as a man who lived with As - allbeit unknown.

James

TBH I think KW's odd behaviour had more to do with his repression/denial of his sexuality and his very odd relationship with his mother. Was a few years ago when i read the diaries, admittedly, but i don't reacall anything that strongly indicated AS... some sort of bi-polar disorder, maybe, but even here one wonders whether it was more affectation than profound depression... even at the end it sounded more like a desperate cry for attention as he saw his 'star' rapidly sinking and his health declining.

Only thing I could say for sure - At his peak he was absolutely hilarious, and that's probably good enough :D

L&P

BD

I can only think of Kenneth Williams as a brilliant comedian, with the usual comedians tortured soul. I read the Diaries years ago and simply thought he was a drama queen with a waspish tongue.

I can only think of Kenneth Williams as a brilliant comedian, with the usual comedians tortured soul. I read the Diaries years ago and simply thought he was a drama queen with a waspish tongue.

True,

But reading between the lines it obvious he asuffered pyschological problems, the waspish tongue is little more than a defence, from the diaries and delving in the private thoughts he expresses he reveals a deep sensitivity.

It seems to be this over sensitivity which proves dififcult, like the glare of a bright sun. Looking at what I have read here, personal experience, living with ASD - I would suggest there are similarities.

Taking the front, the personality which we all have to some degree that sheilds us from the world is easy, beyond that we all have an inner core.

I heard Tony Attwood speak last year.Part of his presentation covered those in the public eye who may be on the spectrum.He mentioned Bill Gates and all the others that get mentioned.Then he went on to say Peter Sellers.Has anyone else heard this ???.........

The Bill Gates issue has been doing the rounds for a while, Steven Spielberg also gets mentioned.

Apparently a spokeman for Bill gates has denied he has Aspergers.

In many cases these 'celebrity diagnoses' are based on observation by unconnected 3rd parties rather than meaning these people have been diagnosed.

One celebrity that has been diagnosed is the singer Gary Numan:

It?s a mystery to me. I honestly think of myself as a fairly easygoing, non-confrontational person. I do have friends around me that would argue with that, but I?ve never quite understood what it is. I have a condition called Aspergers Syndrome, which is like a mild form of autism It means I don?t interact properly in certain social situations. I?m alright with this kind of situation; questions and answers, I?m kind of in my element, but if I was to meet you outside, in a bar, you would find me really awkward to talk to. I wouldn?t be able to make conversation, I can?t make eye contact, I?d probably misunderstand what you?ve said, because I can?t relate actual language to body language properly, and I get confused as to what people mean, and I?m highly suspicious. I?m just f*****g (expletive auto-removed) useless at being out and about. I get really, really paranoid. I don?t know if that comes across when I?m writing either, I honestly don?t know.

To give you an example, I posted something on the website a while ago, saying we?re having a bit of trouble with bootlegging ? it?s getting a bit out hand. If anyone sees any can just they let us know; we don?t want to get anyone into trouble, we just want to try and curb it a bit. I really said it almost as if the people doing the bootlegs were were mates. You wouldn?t believe the sh*t that I got for that, I couldn?t believe it. I don?t know why that happens. I honestly try really hard to talk to people, as though everyone?s the same. No-ones better, no-one?s worse, I don?t think one job is better than another. I really try to look at the world and everyone in it evenly. I seem to be widely misunderstood often.?

Simon

The Bill Gates issue has been doing the rounds for a while, Steven Spielberg also gets mentioned.

Apparently a spokeman for Bill gates has denied he has Aspergers.

In many cases these 'celebrity diagnoses' are based on observation by unconnected 3rd parties rather than meaning these people have been diagnosed.

One celebrity that has been diagnosed is the singer Gary Numan:

Simon

I suggest that it is too easy to look at famous and successful people, their often unquie and vast talents, and becuase they seem different, it becomes easy just ot label AS. (or any other condition)

I picked the Kenneth William Diaries, simply becuase by hos own admission he expresses his feelings and in turn difficulties.

I think we live in an increasingly uncertain world - more and more people want to understnad not only themselves but the world around them.

thanks alot

justamom

I would be interested to know what people think.

Could be my obscure view picking things out, seeing shadows which are not there. I have to say non fiction is not my first love, since I started writing seriously myself I have read these over fiction. Reading my favourite fiction authors, James Herbert, Dean Koontz etc always leaves me in awe. So i go back to the non fiction and loose myself in other people lives.

Another fave famous person of mine who has confirmed their own diagnosis is Dan Akroyd, he told on a Canadian radio station that his special interest was in police work and he carries around a real police badge with him everywhere.

ooh will look into that, thanks for this post!
:D

Oh, I didn't know about Dan Aykroyd! Having read Sellers' son's book on his father, I don't think Sellers was an Aspie (Bi-polar, maybe). I've also read the Kenneth Williams diaries and have got to say that I don't think he was an Aspie. Someone else has already posted about Williams' sexual repression and inability to accept himself for what he really was. Personally, I agree that Williams' problems were probably brought about by his denial of who he really was. As an Aspie, I can't see AS in Williams.

Edited by IAmNotPrinceHamlet