Sign in to follow this  
darky

statutory assessment

hi there, ive been given advice from someone very close to my heart here ;) that i should go for a statutory assessment for my son. im going to request one for my daughter as well, but thats another story. i just want to ask, my son is up for dx on 13th feb, i wanted to pull him out of his blasted school asap. i still think he needs an assessment, but do i pull him out his school, telling his new school he will be joining along with a request for assessment, should i wait or what??????i really dont think statement or not the school he is at now is right for him statement or not so he is moving 100% any advice???

Hi Darky - would love to answer that one :lol:

I am a bit out of action at the mo - I am preparing my submission for the Secretary of State.

Found a piece of paper that I must have missed.

Wicked witch of the west - said "we don't give J support because he doesn't need any" - but we do give mum support :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: - looks like this was to the Head of the LEA - but I can not work out the signature :ph34r:

hmmmmmmm helen, guess what lol im very good at making out signitures. lol if you can scan the document, send it to me and then i will have a guess for you. ooooooooo lovey what a priceless piece of paper you have in your hand there. talk about damming the evil one!! GO KICK BUTT!! :fight: send the evil one to early retirment or demotion to boys loo cleaner :lol: i say boys loos cos they are stinky lol

p.s i love this smiley :ph34r: it really really suits you pmsl

hiya its a difficult one that?how much support as the school given to your son?is he on school action plus if so have you at least two ieps that have been reviewed?if he not on school actionplus then i would personally move him then give the new school copies of all reports from the very beginning and tell them he needs extra help and that you will be looking to have him statemented thats what i did with ds with his new school as previous was no help at all with him(long story)new sch put him on sch actionplus and his first is being reviewed next week and they collecting evidence for statementing.hope that helps with your decision and good luck.

hes on school action plus now, but school are rubbish and hes not getting much in the way of help. helen can vouch for me there. the school dont do ieps because senco dont believe in them as she prefers to work face to face. she refuses to put anything in writing, this way she cant be held accountable. can she? grrrrr

there advantages to moving him but you must tell the school you are moving him to your concerns and say you are or have requested a statement.

Or stay where you are and see what the assessment brings and how they deal with your son.

Some school do not know how to handle special needs children and put lots of thing in to create problems. Other schools may not know how to handle your child but will listen and work with you.

I person wanted to move my child many times but resisted because he had made friends. Was this a mistake maybe because I ended up taking the head to a tribunal for discriminating against my child.

Looking on the bright side my child has now moved up to junior school the staff are fantastic and I am a better mother and support for my son having gone through such a bad experience.

Listen to your child listen to yourself then decide none of us can see ahead long term.

My psychologist told me when my son was diagnosed that it might be benefical to change my sons school. These people tend to know from experience what are the better schools for support for our special children

Jen

the way i understand it is that you need at least two ieps to put in for a statement

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/_doc/3724/SENCodeOfPractice.pdf

if the school isnt keeping an iep then i would take it further, ie chair of govenors and lea as this is part of your evidence for a statement.

why let your child suffer for her ignorance in sen matters,maybe quoting the law every child matters may make her sit up but i certainly would go above her and get what your son needs,with my sons previous school i wrote a written complaint both to the chair of governors,lea.local mp and an education counceller in which the school now admits in writting that they failed my son and they are reviewing thier sen policies within that school.

i have also noticed that the previous schools senco is spending alot of time with my sons new senco/headteacher during school time so maybe a little retraining going on there.

Edited by clintess

Hi darky.

Phone the LEA in the morning and ask them for a copy of their SEN policy - they can e-mail it to you to save costs and paper. If the answer is they don't have one the next call is the DfES to ask them if this is legal (it isn't). Tell either or both of these WHY you want it. If you get it (and you should) highlight every bit they are failing to fulfill.

Two IEPs is a good rule of thumb but it won't work if they are not issuing them, and this can be overuled if things are not working anyway if it is considered urgent enough.

i have already written to chair of govenors twice, had a meeting with the senco 3 times, had a meeting with the head, written to head of pupil and parent support and local mp and got no where. it seems that the school are just not accountable to anyone. i have phoned even dfes and got no where, they tell me to take it up with govenors. aparently schools dont HAVE to do iep's. im certain i have enough evidence for a statutory assessment with just all the reports that have been done, including the cognitive assessment done by the ed physco who assessed my sons performance skills on the 0.1 percentile, where 25-75 is average.

the school have done nothing for my son, and because he is passive and well behaved sent me away saying there were no concerns re my son. the senco even phoned ed pysco and told her my son didnt need assessing. luckily for my son, that assessment was ordered by consultant, so it didnt matter what the senco said. statement or not i dont want him staying at this school. the only reason i have kept him there as long as i have is because its taken over a year for all the assessments to be done for dx'ing asperger syndrome. if i had moved him mid assessment, then it would have taken longer to get to see ed psysco etc, and then delayed the dx even more.

i had all this with my daughter the year before. my daughter was withdrawn and refused to interact with any children, she said playtimes were hard, and she didnt like children as children were nasty. i pulled her out the school in september, shes now interacting very well with other children, shes asking for freinds to come home for tea, shes happy and a different child. that other school made her participate in activities that she found difficult and would cause a great deal of stress such as band concerts and pantomines. she HATES loud noises and becomes very distressed and occasionaly has full blown melt downs. her new school dont push her at all, shes involved if she wants to be, but any sign of distress shes given the option to leave. this has reduced her stress levels dramaticaly.

my sons anxiety is so evident at home, he comes home from school like a bear with a sore head, he argues, he shouts, and get frustrated over the most insignificant things. i think its all over spill from school where he wont say boo to a goose, wont ask for help, and struggles to keep on top of things. he cannot stay at that school statement or not. im just wondering if it would be best to pull him out after dx, then send him to new school telling them my intention of getting him statemented. lol oh lordy i think i may have answered my own question there in that last sentance lol!

sorry for the rant i am just mad as hell at that school! grrr!! thanks for your help guys.

Hi there

We found the school's backing was crucial for J's assessment - are they likely to help you and provide evidence for stat assessment? - it doesn't seem like that from what i've read of your situation! :( It may be better to move then request the assessment - hopefully you will find a school that will support you in the need for an assessment ...

Sorry not to be of more help

Eve