Sign in to follow this  
Rhonda

Advice please on special school/ mainstream for son with ASD

Wondering if anyone can help us. Our son is 10, in Y5 in mainstream with a 23hr week statement. He has Aspergers and? ?ADHD. Things aren't going well at school or home (but thats another story), we had his annual review yesterday, the last of several meetings recently to try and decide where we go next. Schhol are saying they aren't meeting his needs, all his targets from IEP not met, infact deterirating. He is displaying challenging behaviour which has on three occasions has had him sent home for the day and one fixed term exclusion in Dec 05. The school do try hard but from what we see all strategies are failing. He is currently taught in a large cupboard!!!! as they cannot get him back in the class, he gets stressed, shouts, screams, head bangs etc and refuses to move on a daily basis.

The problem is the LEA, ed psych and advisory ASD teachers will not give us any guidance on where would be a more appropiate placement. Ed pysch says he is scoring 70% in her tests and therefore does not fit the criteria for a school for mod learning diff. LEA have told us to look around special schools, we are confused. All we want is a more settled son who wants to go to school and somewhere suitable for him. The area we live it appears to be lacking big time in provision for kids like our son.

we have been asked to provide our views on paper by Fri in prep for his panel review next week. How can we say what we want when we are not armed with all the facts. When we asked for the professionals opinions we were told they would not commmit themselves as if the new placement went wrong we would blame them!!!!! I am appalled at this attitude, anyone got any advice????

Hi Rhonda,

You might like to look at some of the independent special schools for AS, which also cater for children who don't have MLD. Your LEA still pays the fees.

My son goes to a school like this, and it has transformed his life (and our's!).

Gabbittas produce a book listing all special schools, including independent ones. The NAS also have a list of schools.

PM me if you want any details of my son's school.

Bid :)

Hi Rhonda so sorry to hear things are going badly for your son >:D<<'> There has recently been a letter sent to all directors of education from the Dfes to say that when statements or ammended statements are sent out the LEA must provide a list of schools including independant ones. Did you ever get this list I know it will not tell you what the schools are like but it will give you something to start on. You have not asked the LEA for their personal opinions on schools but rather what is available. Perhaps if they refuse to give you this info. you might have to take it further. Also the Gabbitas book that bid mentioned, gabbitas have a website and I think (not sure) that they can give you information on schools. It seems to be free. It seems to me that the LEA don't want to give out the info. on schools available because they don't want you to have that choice. I don.t think you should be hassled into giving your opinions by Friday. You could write a letter saying that as you have received no guidance or information from ***** you are unable to express any preferences yet. I think someone who knows a bit more will come along to help. Good luck