Sign in to follow this  
sylvm

Views please - another Changing Schools question

We will soon be moving and I have been visiting schools in our new area for our DD aged 9 who has mild ASD, Tourettes and Dyspraxia. I have come up with 2 so far - both very different and I am torn and don't know which way to go.

1st school is large - 2 form entry but she would be in a class of 25 (she currently has 30). She has earmarked funding which will go with her. The layout of the school is big and there are obviously a lot of people around. She would be expected to go into the playground on her own in the morning and line up. Because of various extensions at the school there are several different levels.

2nd school is 1 form entry but with plenty of space and she would be in a class of 23. The school in general is under subscribed. From what I have found out, Head has been in place about 18 months and has turned the school round. It was a lovely environment within the school but the actual area the school is located in has had problems. Most of the children live in this immediate area.

My dilemmas are

regarding 1st school - will she cope with layout/stairs. By virtue of its size, I think this school will be more rigid in approach. On the other hand it has more resources and could be a "half way house" size wise between a little school and secondary in 2 and a bit years time.

2nd school - basically where it is - I do not mean to be snobby but I am just concerned that some of these children will come from homes with very different backgrounds/values to ours. DD is very impressionable and I am worried that things may rub off on her.

Both schools have said they will talk to current school and listen to advice/read reports etc. etc.

Sorry to ramble on - I know no one can make the decision for us - but any views would be very useful. Thanks a lot.

It's one of those decisions that you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. Usually with these kind of things I just try to go with my gut instinct (although that's usually pretty wrong - so not much use there).

Would/could you daughter visit and see what she thinks - or would that cause major anxiety problems (I know it would with my daughter!).

Or have you got anyone you could ask who has contact with both schools - like someone from the LEA or the CPN etc who could give you an impartial view on both schools.

Sorry can't be much help.

Is there a local support group who could give you "inside" info on the schools? You could try hanging around the schols at home time - might give you a feel for the schools.

Karen

I take it you have asked both schools for their prospectus' adn asked lots of questions. Have you also looked at/been given copies of their SEN/behaviour and inclusion etc policies? How do they compare and what is the SEN provision like? Has your daughter been to visit them yet? She may have a definite preference for one over the other. How did the staff react to her? And her to them?

Sorry, no answers for you at all just more things to think about really! Which I hope have been useful for you.

Whichever one you plump for I hope it works out OK.

I don't think it is an option to take DD on a visit until it is definite and we have made a decision on the school. She has a major difficulty making any sort of choice and we can have a mad wobbly over which biscuit to choose! If she did express a preference it might be over something really unimportant like she'd spotted a book she wants to read in a corner of the classroom.

I have the prospectuses and have visited and asked lots of questions both at the time and afterwards. I am going to be around at the end of school to see what it's like at the end of the week. I am about to ask for the various policies you suggested Phasmid.

I would ask if you could go into school and see how it works. You will see so much. How the children behave are they managed well. Are the children happy.

My child went to an school with an excellent offstead. In hindsight the most important thing is are the children in the class happy. If your daughter is happy in the environment life will be much easier.

Have you asked each school how they would accommodate your daughter and what stratergies or services have they used in the past or they would use with your daughter.

What is the exclusion rates at both schools.

regards

Jen

I'd turn the exclusion question around slightly and ask them what they do to avoid using exclusions. Have they got anyone ASD trained and savvy? What sort of training is/was it? If possible see if they will point you at a parent of an SEN (preferably ASD) child and ask them their opinion of the school. If you haven't already done so speak directly to the SENCo and see what they have to say for themselves. The more 'open' they are to you the more likely they are (I find) to work with you when things go wrong. Open and friendly at this point normally says communicative in difficult circumstances.

Phas has given you the right pointers for questions to ask the schools, it is a difficult decision to make. One thing I did when I visited loads of schools recently when we changed boroughs was I gave each SENCO or HT i met a copy of T's statement and all the advices that were attached, and then asked them for their 'honest' opinion whether they felt they would be able to meet T's needs and the provisions of the statement, as a successful placement was paramount and that considering T has already experienced so much failure and exclusions a placement that might be considered difficult or possibly fail would be untenable. Difficult I know, as no-one can guarentee success of a placement, but to my surprise (or not maybe) none of the 5 local schools SENCO's felt they could meet his needs. Although they cannot officially say no, there would've been no point in insisting T go to a school locally where the SEN provision was at best ropey. I would also ask how each school would provide for the needs of your DD's SEN, write down their answers and review them later, sometimes what might seem as good later becomes not so, and the answers they give might prompt more questions when you have had time to take them in properly.

Another thing, when we first moved to Cornwall 3 years ago, before T's statement but post DX, the only school that had a place was a school thats sound very similar to your 2nd school, it turned out that although not in the best area and undersubscribed, they had the highest number of SEN children, they had tremendous experience, it was probably one of the best years T has ever had at school, they helped me through the first statementing process to enable that some provision was in place before the dreaded move to high school.

I know how difficult these decisions are, but I am sure that you will make the choice that is the best for you all.

Good luck, HHxx

Thanks for the comments here. I discovered another school last week which has gone to the top of my list. I am in contact with someone who has an ASD child in the school and her comments are positive. This is another large school but appears much more flexible than the original large school I was considering.

Unfortunately someone at the bottom of our chain has now pulled out so it looks as if it won't be happening just yet :crying: - at least I'll be well prepared when it does happen!