Sign in to follow this  
MumTee

Autism Awareness Day

Just found out there's an autism awareness day is Southampton on Thursday 16th Feb if anyone's interested. Guest speakers include Sarah Newman who wrote 'Small Steps Forward' and Ros Blackburn - an able adult with autism.

There are still tickets available. Oh, and theres a creche if needed.

Edited by MumTee

Thank you Mum Tee

There is also a one day 'HELP' seminar organised by NAS and I think that is the 17th March in Eastleigh

I will try and find link and post it.

Mum Tee are you going to the one next week - if so let me know and we can say hello to each other

Best wishes

Helen

I'm going too, maybe we should wear a red rose and carry a newspaper for ease of identification? Love Kat

I'll be easy to spot, I'm always the most bewildered looking person in any room!

It's a good idea to try and meet each other - I might put a sticker on saying MumTee or Krism or something? I'll never get round to buying a rose(!), what about a leek...?! :lol:

I'd be interested in the Eastleigh do too.

Here is the NAS one day HELP programme - I have cut and pasted it but it doesn't have all the fancy artwork

One day programme

Does your child have an autistic spectrum disorder (ASD) with a fairly recent diagnosis?

Is he/she aged 3 -12?

Do you require information about your child?s rights and entitlements to services and welfare benefits?

Do you require an overview of ASDs and tips on communication with your child?

17th March 2006 The Holiday Inn Hotel, Leigh Road, Eastleigh

SO50 9PG

9.30am ? 3.15pm

This programme is free to parent/carers!

Attendees receive a help! pack

containing programme materials

To book a place on this programme

please phone

Grace Kendall on 020 7704 3805

The help! family support programme provides information, support and advice for parents/carers, family members and people with an ASD.

This particular programme is a free event aimed at parents/carers whose child has had a fairly recent diagnosis (within last 18 months) of ASD. The programme provides basic information on the following:

An overview of ASDs

Tips for communication

Education and your rights

Services and your rights

Benefits and your rights

The programme is presented by Andrew Powell and Katie Hallums of the NAS. Both have many years ASD experience including running parent groups for families affected by ASD and working on the NAS Helpline.

Lunch is provided and there is no cost to parents.

Two members per family may attend (or one family member and a friend).

Places will be allocated on a first come, first served basis.

The National Autistic Society help! programme

Unit 9, The Ivories, 6/8 Northampton Street, London, N1 2HY

Carer - don't let that stop you - I think they are putting that criteria because research has probably shown them that this is the group that needs the most help.

Give them a whirl - I am sure they are not going to knock you back.

Also the Southampton one still has some places - they have just faxed me a booking form.

Best wishes

HelenL

carerquie, always worth asking So'ton for spaces. Often people, especially work places, return or don't take up tickets they have reserves. See you there! Kat

Helen,

Sorry, no can't make it. Unfortunately there was an event that the NAGC was running locally that S was really looking forward to but they were fully booked. Instead I have promised him (on pain of death :fight: ) a trip to INTECH for a "make it" session. Have you ever been there, it's a great hands on science place in Winchester?

http://www.intech-uk.com/

Going to Rose Road tomorrow?

I have a 'throat' and a pukie son - but I hope to be there tomorrow.

I can't tell you what I will be wearing - cos it could be anything if I have to get up that early.

I physically resemble a 'spacehopper with attitude!'

Love

HelenL

:lol::lol: That made me laugh - I went through a stage of putting my hair in bunches (dont know why) but stopped cause hubby kept calling me 'spacehopper'!

Dont know what I will wear either - but I do know I will have my huge squishy purple leather handbag with me - its an amazing Mary Poppins kind of bag but you have to be careful how you put it on the floor or people and furniture disappear!

Hope to see some of you there!

Hi all, so I'm looking for a large purple handbag and a space hopper...... hmmmmm could be interesting. I'll be the one asleep - v tired - and have to drive down now and i hate driving. See you. Love Kat

Went to the Autism Awareness Day and heard Roz Blackburn speak. It was really good

Three Krismites found each other! so now we know what we look like :ph34r:

Best wishes

HelenL

Yes, I was the one who looks like Michelle Pfieffer!!!

HelenL did a marvellous job of promotion of this forum.

In fact she leapt up "called out "may I recommend...That's.. "and repeated it. Made the organisers write it down too!!

Unfortunately mumtee and I weren't quick enough with the Mexican wave so here it is now

:groupwave:groupwave:

Have to say HelenL was a bit scary in action - wouldn't like to see her in really scary mode!!!

What can I tell you - Katkin snoring in the corner......... HelenL devoured the entire buffet...... :whistle::lol:

I was STARVING when I got home - great buffet, small plates....!

Lovely to meet you both - I thought Ros was fab! Really challenged my brain she did :blink:

So Mumtee, what exactly did you have in that very large purple bag? Lots of that very nice buffet disappeared in your direction methinks!!! :whistle::whistle::whistle: ( Anything to save cooking when you get home eh??!!

Seriously though Ros Blackburn is always good to listen to but I still feel a little voyueristic when hearing her. But very interesting, and I liked the other female speaker too - I did think she had some good ideas.

Yes - I must say I've been using Sarahs first book 'Small Steps Forward' as a dip in and out book when I need inspiration - am thinking of getting the second one too as it has some info about schools which may be useful

.....I didnt realise you saw me shovelling those bhajis into my bag...... :dance:

Hi Ladies

Mentioned to my friend on Friday that I had seen Ros. She has seen her a few times and I said that I thought she was a tad 'ready for a meltdown' - my friend informed me that last year they were trying to Section Ros how sad is that?

It was a lovely day and I loved meeting up with some of the gang from the forum.- oh and good buffet!

Love

Spacehopper

Hi helen, Yes I think it true that Ros was sectioned or nearly. And I think this has happened to her in the past. She did allude to one such time when she said she crossed the road to look at the brick pattern on a wall ? She was "caught" by the police and spent the night in the cells or some such horror. It's a long time since I did my first "autism training" but she was discussed quite in depth then and I watched the whole tv programme which I found very moving and very sad. I hope her parents have made provision for when they are no longer around? Or I feel she will become very vulnerable. Love kat

Hi Kat,

this is a worry for all of us parents - I read an article where Ros talk about building a support network - not of friends but of facilitators. The article is very moving and although she made my head hurt - she is a bit of a peep into what it could be like for our kids.

Hope you are well

Best wishes

HelenL