Bullet

Fastest diagnosis ever! :D

I was getting my baby weighed at the clinic and of course had Ds1 there with me as well. By coincidence a woman who used to go to the baby group I took Ds1 to was there, with her little girl (about a couple of months older than Ds1). We said hello and asked how our two older ones were (she had another baby too). I told her that Ds1 was not speaking apart from echolalia and that that, combined with some other things, had meant he was suspected of having an ASD.

She looked at him and declared instantly he was fine. How she worked it out after less than a minute is beyond me, especially as he was staring off into space reciting the names of the Tellytubbies over and over again. Which I know on its own isn't indicative, but it's when the things build up and you see his behaviour every day.

Edited by Bullet

Amazing isn't it?? :P

I'm always amused :huh: when people who are aware of my two boy's dx meet them for the first time and comment that they look perfectly fine. What were they expecting?? Two heads and 3 eyes or something? :jester:

Lauren

Bullet,

I get comments like this alot! The one that I hear most is "he looks just like a normal little boy to me" :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Or, "he must only have it very very mild because he can talk" :wallbash:

You actually feel like screaming at these people. :angry:

It's quite amazing how 'knowledgable' people think they are when you mention ASD to them and what

really p****s me off is when they then start to tell ME all about it, and it's usually a load of old tosh. :wallbash:

Know how you felt in this situation.

Brook

See, ironically, when I'm posting about him and explaining what he's like and someone says "he sounds ok" or "don't worry, my lad did that", then I don't mind so much, because they are usually trying to set my mind at ease and reassure me.

Hi, :)

Well I had a lot of this even from my own friends and family members which is not really surprising as they do not know about ASD, but the worst was from the EP who saw H last year at school and when I went to collect him after she had just spent 2 hours in the classroom, came to me introducing herself and said " I have just been observing H what a perfect normal little boy nothing wrong with him" Which I answered coldly "Well it may be your opinion but do not expect me to agree beside he's already been DX", it was nice to see her swallowing back her fake smile and getting agitated however her report implying that H problems were my fault has been very damaging and block all the avenues for me in trying to get more support.

Take care.

Malika.

Or, "he must only have it very very mild because he can talk" :wallbash:

That must be the all time classic :lol:

Dontcha just love these people ....NOT.

My fave is still the old lady on the bus, "In my day they would get a clip round the ear.." Huh! :wallbash:

With you all on this one :angry:

It's because he doesn't have any siblings....

He looks fine.... (would they prefer it if i put 'ASPERGERS' in permanent marker on his head???!!!)

The one that drive me insane is ....... 'Aspergers, oh, i've heard all about that one - it's just MILD isn't it' :angry: And this was from an Area Senco!!

With you on that, Smileymab - my son's teacher put 'Asperger's - mild' on his IEP. Don't know where she got that from! She wouldn't call it mild if she's been at my house this weekend!!!!!

I get it for the other son, too, who has an ASD but is very smiley, good eye contact and is verbal (mainly repeating video scripts), so he can't be autistic, can he?! Again, come round to my house and see them in action!!

I just hate having to justify/explain/qualify everything wherever I go.

Hi I get this all the time too! everyone says oh he is fine! or I will get we as parents aren't doing our job well enough and we should be tougher etc, or it is a boy thing, my boys just the same! grreee, it is when you put everything together and see them every day then you can 'see' it! with Aspergers they can appear 'normal' at times, just wish they saw M the rest of the time!

Liz

"Oh well, that's just teenagers for you", is the comment I get when I describe aspects of my daughter's behaviour to people. :wallbash: I think mostly people mean to be reassuring and kind when they say things like this, but it has the opposite effect!

The slightly worrying aspect is that I know of a faster one by one of NAS approved list consultants who told an adult she definitely did not have an ASD within 45 seconds. And you guessed it, they were well wrong. :lol: I also know a Prof who got her wrong by the same process of not carrying out an asessment!

Hey ho and mad the world is.

None of you have mentioned my particular favourite.............

"Oh, he's autistic is he, what's his special skill?"

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHH

One of these days, instead of responding to this politely & trying to explain that not all autistic children are "Rain Man" I will respond with "wiping poo all up and down the walls of the stairs in 60 seconds flat" just to see their reaction.............