Brook

Following on from my..

thread titled 'any suggestions', I came across this link which I found quite interesting, and seeing as my

son is very verbal I could relate alot to what it says, and that's what causes him alot of anxiety, because he

is so verbal, outsiders expect him to understand everything they say and also throw him some strange looks

when he starts talking totally off topic.

Thought I'd post it in case anyone else wanted a gander.

Increasing Expressive skills for verbal children with autism:

http://www.cesa7.k12.wi.us/sped/autism/verbal/verbal11.html

Brook

:thumbs: Thanks Brook

Matthew is also HIGHLY verbal but that sometimes can actually add to his problems :(

Excellent link

Carole

Well, seeing as there were a few pages on there, I hadn't read it all, but the more I have, the more things

are dropping into place.

My son has a 2 and a half year delay in the understanding of receptive language.

His echolalia is much more apparent when out and about, he does use it at home, but more in a joking

sort of way because he is aware that we know what he is quoting.

On that link there is a heading 'simplify verbal messages given to the child'.

It says that an increase in UVB's (unconventional verbal behaviours) due to stress/anxiety associated

with auditory information overload.

So what I'm now starting to think is that, he frequently becomes anxious when out and about, and when in

a shop situation I think he is worried that the cashier may start making a conversation with him that he

wont understand, so with the increased stress he then starts to quote the tv etc.. and his echolalia becomes

very apparent. Hmmm, what do you think?

This link is to the particular page in question:

http://www.cesa7.k12.wi.us/sped/autism/verbal/verbal13.html

Brook (who has a headache. :huh::lol: )

Edited by Brook

This is a very interesting link Brook, I'll read it tomorrow when I can digest it better. The explanation of echolalia makes sense to me we have certainly noticed L doing this when she isn't sure how to respond. She will usually repeat what's just been said - I think it gives her more processing time as well.

She does a lot of quoting from films and games but this is usually done for fun. Something that really throws people is when she picks up on a single word in conversation or on the news which reminds her of a quote, and she will then giggle uncontrollably for no apparent reason, unless you are in the know!

K

Kathryn,

my son also picks up on a single word, that will spark a quote that is totally irrelevant to the topic too,

this often leads on to another and another. :blink:

Brook

Guest hallyscomet

Hi Kathryn& Brook,

B. does this too. My daughter is the one that gets really confused. She is used to most of his behaviours but this one really stands out doesn't it.

H.

Hi Brook

Have printed it off to read with a coffee. :D

Thankyou so much I have lots of information because of you wonderful people on this site now.

All kept in a folder ready to wave under the appropriate nose when needed :lol:

Hi Brook

Have printed it off to read with a coffee. :D

Thankyou so much I have lots of information because of you wonderful people on this site now.

All kept in a folder ready to wave under the appropriate nose when needed :lol:

I think we must be like walking libraries by now. :lol::lol:

Brook

Thankyou for this Brook,

I dont know if my son has Aspergers or not but so many of these communication issues apply that I and the professionals (grammar!!) have to consider it at least. Gonna print this one off. Ta much.