Sign in to follow this  
Debs

Genealogy/Family History

This is completely off topic but I'm mad on genealogy and am tracing my family tree. I have access to online census's and Birth, Marriage and Death indexes. I seem to have hit a brick wall :wallbash:with my searches and still have a lot of credit left with Ancestory.co.uk.

So I'm offering to look up your ancestors for you if anyone is interested. It's addictive so don't start if you can't handle it LOL :thumbs:

Hi Folks,

Can we please pm names etc to Debs as this is too personal for open forum.

Thanks all.

Phasmid.

Edited by phasmid

Hi Debs

Thats a nice thought, and extremly kind of you!

(removed see below)

Best wishes

tmf

xx

Edited by phasmid

Hi Clintess and tmf

I have pm'd you both with the contents of this post. Hope it works!

Debs

Edited by Debs

Phasmid, sorry didn't see your reply when I posted. I could edit and pm to Clintess and TMF but don't know how to do it at the moment. Will look it up.

Debs

Debs

Where have you got stuck? Ancestry.com is a US site (if I remember right) so they don't have all the UK answers, there's actually a lot on Genes Reunited, Utah saints (sorry Mormons - no I don't mean that, Latter Day Saints - phew got the politically correct name in eventually) Joking aside the IGI is a very useful site.

I started with my Grandad, who knew his Mum, Dad and Dad's Brother and where they lived - everything else was sketchy, working back from the record office (Grandad's dad was a twin, which helped) managed to go back to 1680 (eventually) it helped that at the time I was living near where they lived then, so the local record office had everything on microfiche, but a few trips to London & St Catherine's House started to put facts together.

The census online is brilliant - I'm stuck until the next one is released in some areas.

Most satisfying moment, Grandad always said we were related to a rich branch of the family (it's not a common surname) He was born in the Valleys as a Coal miner's son. I managed to prove we were before he died. Low point, I found his cousin who went missing in the 1940's and didn't get to reunite them. Most interesting point, I visited a distantly related family and was looking at their family photos, I / they could have sworn that the picture they had of their son was one of me. (Aint genes wonderful?)

Can't really go back any more, so I'm working forwards, as the last in my line it'd be really nice to pull as many live family members together as possible for my 60th - in 2026!

Sorry folks - this was well off topic

R