Sign in to follow this  
elainem

Teaching Assistant

Hi,

I was interested in a vacancy but as I will have to pay b4 and after school fees was trying to work out salary, I spoke to school admin but wondered what anyone here thought. I know term time posts have to be pro rata to the number of weeks and hours worked. This post was 26.25 hours which covered the school day less breaks so to calc the salary she was using 37 hours as a full time equivalent to perform the calculation - but that seemed wrong to me. Does anyone know what the full time basic hours are for a TA. I know the money isn't brilliant but this calculation seems to be making it even lower.

Any help appreciated - I hope that makes sense.

Hi, don't know anything about TA hours of work but where I work it's normally a 37.5hr week full time (not including lunch break because that isn't paid) which means I'm in work from 8.30am - 4.30pm (which is 40hours).

Anyone working part-time gets pro-rata the hours i.e. if they worked 9.00am - 3.00pm - that would be 27.5hrs paid (although they would be in work for 30hrs).

Don't know if that helps.

Your local county should have pay scales on its web site. In Hampshire try www.hants.net.uk, go to education then to teaching vacancies then it's split into teaching and non teaching with pay scales. it used to say the hourly rate too. Hope this helps Kat

Hi Elaine,

Schools and TA wages are a nightmare. It depends on the county, grade and level on grade.

Im a grade 3, top of of my scale (I think there are 6 points)and I earn ?7.20 ish an hour. This is spread evenly over the year into 12 equal monthly payments.

It depends on your qualifications etc but most schools are incredibly tight and try to employ as cheaply as possible. I think the entrance pay for Hampshire is a little over the minimum pay levels.

Does your County Council have a website? Perhaps you could take a look on there for clarification re pay and conditions.

Good luck

Lorainexx

My LEA works out wages to cover 52 wks per year even though they only contract us for term time. This does seem to bring the amount down per month but it balances out.

my LSA gets payed ?7.00 an hour most LEA divide it by 52. Hence if you work 37.5 hours you work be paid for 22/25hours but you also get paid in the holidays

Jen

Alas, as Phas says, the pay you receive in the holidays will be for what you have worked in termtime. Contracts will normally be for 40 weeks plus 4 weeks holiday ( that you are not allowed to take in termtime) = 44 weeks pay per year. You will not get paid for breaks at work - only for hours you work (not that you won't work in your breaks!!) Hence the pay of 26.25 hours. So it will be 26.25 x 44 to get a years pay then divide by 12 to get your monthly pay check. Basically it won't be very much! If you leave your pay will be altered to what you have worked. For example in Novenber you may work for nearly five weeks as there is no half term and in April only two as it's Easter. But if you left at end of November you will be paid for what you've worked so it might work out more - leave at the wrong time pay may be altered in County's favour. Pay is bad and - especially if you are a good LSA - you will find loads more heaped on you. And there is nothing worse as an LSA to have the supply teacher from hell and you end up effectively taking the class for the day while teach gets the money! ( I used to find cupboards to hide in) But it is term time only, it does give you a better insight into school, if it's your child's school you are on hand (this can be two-edged though), pay may be bad enough so you qualify for tax credits. It can be great fun, it can be very satisfying. I enjoyed my time in school but glad I'm not there now - miss the hols though! Kat