Sign in to follow this  
Guest Frangipani

Its snowing over there

Just read this on the Batcave link ..... they keep advertsing Western Australia on the TV over here .... it all looks very hot and sunny :D ...... don't you get sick of the sunshine? Wouldn't you just love a nice miserable rainy day, come inside, close the curtains early, switch on the fire and cosy up in front of the TV. :)

Actually Leeds is having a clear bright stunningly beautiful sunshiny day today, blue skies as far as the eye can see and snowdrops in full bloom

you can smell spring coming , so refreshing

Zemanski

:lol::lol: Hailey, I think I'll go and visit you very soon!!! :lol::lol:

But it's not that bad where we are B)

Curra

Hailey,

It's really sweet of you to invite us all over to escape the English winter. >:D<<'> :thumbs: Are you sure you can accommodate all of us? :o:)

We'll all be on the next flight to Sydney - just dashing out to buy some sun cream and a bikini!

B):lol:;)

K x

Guest hallyscomet
Hailey,

It's really sweet of you to invite us all over to escape the English winter. >:D<<'> :thumbs: Are you sure you can accommodate all of us? :o:)

We'll all be on the next flight to Sydney - just dashing out to buy some sun cream and a bikini!

B):lol:;)

K x

No worries mate :lol::lol::lol:

Guest hallyscomet
fair dinkum hailey :lol::lol:

do you actually say that hailey?does it mean something is good?

Fair dinkum - means someone or something really genuine i.e like when someone its telling a story about something, they say fair dinkum, meaning, I am telling you the truth, or "honestly", I mean it.

I dont use it though, we Sydneyites are more cultured :lol::lol: but you travel down to Wollongong or west or up to Gosford and north and they all talk like this, I am always laughing at some of my relatives.

Here is something I emailed to my children so they could understand a lot of meanings behind the Aussie slang, I guess when I am having a laugh or a joke a lot of the Aussie slang sneaks in, and my daughter just laughs at me and says, what does that mean, :lol::lol:

Here you go or Here ya go (I never say ya but the country folk do and sometimes I make fun with it...)

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~enigman/australia/slang.html

its an easy quick reference, but reading through it, some of the Aussie slang has you in fits of laughter.

Like hu-ru = see ya later more like see ya lata :lol::lol:

H.

Edited by hallyscomet

Hally, just read afew of the slang terms and there is a lot of stuff we use over here. Very similar in fact to a lot of the everyday things we say.

I don't see "Boof Head" which you used the other day. Is this an Aussie term? I like the sound of it. What does it mean exactly, and is it very rude? :lol:

Guest hallyscomet
Hally, just read afew of the slang terms and there is a lot of stuff we use over here. Very similar in fact to a lot of the everyday things we say.

As they say Viper, a lot of our roots are from the UK- we are the naughty ones :lol::lol::lol: the convicts and all :lol::lol: They put us in the "naughty corner" of the globe and called it Down Under :lol: "Fair crack of the whip, we're not a bad lot" :dance::dance::dance:

Hailey

Edited by hallyscomet

Just realised this should be in Off Topic, so I'm going to boot it over there if no one has any objections.

(And if you do, tuff. :P )

K

Guest hallyscomet
I don't see "Boof Head" which you used the other day. Is this an Aussie term? I like the sound of it. What does it mean exactly, and is it very rude? :lol:

Yes its an Aussie Term, its is meant to be rude, like "###### idiot" or dip switch or thripence haipenny ( not sure how to spell those) but means "one short of a full quid" :lol::lol: or "what a twit"

On Saturday mornings they have a program where you phone in and tell your story of "The Biggest Boof Head" competition, and whoever has the best story, they win the Prize for the biggest Boof Head.

One story of the last winner, makes me laugh a lot, QUOTE: This 'Boof Head" neighbour was trying to cut down a 8 metre tree, so he had the saw out sawing away and realise this ain't going to budge, so wait for it, the "Boof head" :lol::lol: had a brainstorm :o:lol::lol: he tied a big rope around the tree the attached it to his bull bar of his car, then tried to pull it over, BUT, the tree came down alright, but landed on top of his car :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: classic mate!!! there you have it, what a Boof Head......

Hailey :rolleyes:

When I was younger and still living in South Africa we used to have a dog called Dinkum - gorgeous labrador.

I love the Aussie slang we watch "Home and Away" religiously every night at 6.00 very sad i know but aussie looks so lovely!!!

justamom.

Guest hallyscomet
When I was younger and still living in South Africa we used to have a dog called Dinkum - gorgeous labrador.

I love the Aussie slang we watch "Home and Away" religiously every night at 6.00 very sad i know but aussie looks so lovely!!!

justamom.

Where they film Home and Away is at Palm Beach, my partner races 'Sailing' there every weekend, on the Pittwater side of Barrenjoey Headland, I love going there for a coffee and a lovely quiet walk along the beach, many times they are there filming around midday onwards, during the week. I am about 15 minutes south of Palm Beach, one of my favourite walks is up to the Lighthouse as once you get up there its 360 degree views, feel like your a world away from the hassles of life up there its soooo peaceful, love watching the sunset, and the boats go by, great spot for a picnic. It takes about 20-30mins to walk up there from the Pittwater side of Palm Beach. I grew up spending a lot of time at the beach surfing and sailing hobbie cats, got biffed off a hobie cat right in the middle of north and south head, I can laugh about it now but ended up in Manly Hospital with suspected broken ankle and bruised ego :lol::lol: but turned out to be only ligament damage and bruised ego. I was out on trapeze, it nose dived, and the hobie cat and I went in different directions then I collided and went underneath hitting my foot on the side :whistle::rolleyes: funny days...Lucky I am a good swimmer, but don't even think about the sharks ;):o:lol::lol:

Those were the days...

Hailey

Guest hallyscomet

Hello Over There :lol:

DID YOU KNOW OUR AD ABOVE HAS BEEN BANNED IN THE UK, BECAUSE OF THE NAUGHTY WORD

"######"

Apparently it will be released next week over there, but without the naughty word "######" :o:shame:

Shocking,

Do you find it offensive, just wondering.

Hailey

Yes we are thoroughly shocked and offended over here. :o:o:o You wouldn't catch us using such language!

Looks like we made the right decision after all to ship you lot off to the colonies - rest assured we will defend our island against such depravity - :ninja:

Keep your vulgar adverts to yourself, I say!!! :ph34r:

:devil::devil::devil::devil:

Guest hallyscomet
Yes we are thoroughly shocked and offended over here. :o:o:o You wouldn't catch us using such language!

Looks like we made the right decision after all to ship you lot off to the colonies - rest assured we will defend our island against such depravity - :ninja:

Keep your vulgar adverts to yourself, I say!!! :ph34r:

:devil::devil:

Hi Kathryn,

Only just noticed your reply, well you know what I have to say about that........ :o:P:P:P:lol::lol::lol: I have seen Benny Hill and am still scarred from the vulgar stuff. :P:D:lol:

:devil::devil:

Hailey