Stephanie

Tongue Rolling

:lol: Can ASD kids roll their tongue?? Bit of a silly one I know but I understood that if both parents can roll their tongue, then their kids can too. Both me and my husband can and our ASD eldest can't (youngest can). Tell me it is quite common before DH runs off for the paternity test .... !! :lol:

A (ASD) and his dad can both roll their tongues. I can't. However, A's OT was surprised he could tongue roll because usually children with dyspraxia can't, even if they have the tongue rolling gene. :blink::blink:

Found this on the tongue rolling gene:-

Scientists think that a single gene is responsible for the ability to roll your tongue. We have mentioned above that genes come in pairs, one from your mother and one from your father. There are two forms of this particular gene, one that allows you to roll your tongue and one that makes you unable to roll your tongue. What happens if you inherit the tongue rolling gene from one parent and the non-tongue rolling gene from the other? In the case of this particular gene you would be able to roll your tongue. This is because the tongue rolling version of the gene is dominant. Only needing one copy of a particular gene to display a characteristic is called dominant inheritance. To be a non-tongue roller you need to have two copies of the non-tongue rolling version of the gene. This version of the gene is recessive. Needing two copies of a particular gene to display a characteristic is called recessive inheritance.

I remember doing that little test in biology lesson a long time ago. Recently we all tried it - you know how it is nothing else better to do :rolleyes:

Well these are the results from the Tilly panel

me - yes

dh - no

ds - yes

dd1 - no

dd2 - yes but then she goes one better and can twist her tongue right over so all the veins are on the top :P

Tilly

The only one out of us who can role their tongue is Luke. He was born with tongue tie and had it operated on when he was 4 weeks old so he does a funny shaped tongue anyway. I can't role my tongue at all.

Lauren

I can't roll mine either. But I can remember my gramp was brilliant at it - he used to put a lit cigarette end on his and somehow roll it in his mouth - this used to fascinate me when I was little (just a good job really that I wasn't one of those kids that copied what adults did eh!!!).