Sign in to follow this  
darky

help!

hi guys, feeling beaten today.my dd newest phobia is buses, motor bikes, lorry's or any mode of transport thats likely to make the "whoosh" sound of the airbrakes. how on earth do i get round this one. its just started in the past 2 weeks and now i cant get her to walk near a main road. its a huge problem because her school is just off a main road and its meltdown mania now. yesterday i had to carry her, kicking and screaming the short walk to my car, but shes getting really really heavy :(

I know it isn't a solution but could you get a major buggy for her might make the carrying easier.

Ear defenders/ear plugs maybe ? A cute pair of ear muffs wouldn't get rid of the noise but would reduce it. Would the school allow you to park closer ?

Edited by lil_me

Id also suggest ear plugs /defenders.

My son used to walk along the side of roads covering his ears with his hands because he hated the noise.Stupid me never thought of getting him some ear plugs until another mum suggested it.It did the trick.Or how about listening to music on a mp3 player if they can tolerate that because it would give them something else to focus on.

Oh Gosh,

Lewis used to hate being on the bus. he would scream so loud....didn't know then what i know now :( If i have to take him on the bus i tend to take my bag of tricks. It has a gameboy which distracts him fom all the people or little books or toy figures (superheros mostly) it's just a case of trying to stay one step ahead with Lew. I did buy him a pair of fluffy ear muffs from poundstretcher before, so you don't have to break the bank either.

Play music vis a personal mp or cd player to mask the sounds. Music she enjoys or calming music might help

Jen

What about the game in ELC that has a tape of different sounds and they have to listen and match the sound with the picture, getting her to use to sounds like this might help her relate to it when it is outside.

Its a tricky one because she really needs to get to and from places, what about some CBT for children, may be a bit harsh but it is going to be difficult and distressing if this continues.

Good Luck, what about an OT and suggest an observation, to get any ideas how to help your daughter.

Fun Mum

Those airbrakes can be pretty scary. L also found earplugs helped screen out the worst of the traffic noise. The soft foam kind that fit inside your ear are quite good - you can carry a pair around in your bag or pocket for emergencies, and they are quite discreet.

K