Sign in to follow this  
Mother in Need

I think the SENCO is trying to impress me

For the first time I've received a very short letter from the SENCO. I've received letters from her boss before, and she never bothered to state her credentials. This SENCO however, has apparently decided that those credentials will look good, esp as it takes up most of the letter. I'm not impressed though, I know her enough to know she should not be in her job.....oops, what did I just say? :shame:

Anyway, now I am wondering what those mean, knowledge is power as they say. :devil:

She signed the short letter with: her name, (Mrs). B.Phil. Ed. DAPS (spLD) SENCo

:first: could anyone enlighten me on what they stand for, and how they are related to SEN in particular? Thanks!

In fact - apart from the B Phil I am not sure that the others are designatory and therefore they are being used inappropriately - but I do stand to be corrected :notworthy:

I think you're right helenL. Just job titles apart from the B.phil.ed. SPLD = specific learning difficulties (well wowee!!), senco - well what does that mean??? She's just trying to overpower you with letters. Education is the land of anacronym. Kat

B. phil ###### phillistine

E.D. educational dinosaur

D.A.P.S. don't ask pyscho senco :wacko:

Spld senco's plans to launch dictatorship

SENCO shifty, emotionless, no-clue childrens opponent

Our senco in primary is now an access and inclusion manager. She hasn't got a clue what either words mean. Hopefully the next one will be better :)

I hope you don't mind, but I was intrigued as to what the letters meant so I asked on another forum I go on. Here are their answers - I don't know if they will help you at all. (I hope you can understand the way copy and paste has put the answers)..................

The Bird

United Kingdom

16983 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 : 12:42:17

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B.Phil Ed is Bachelor of Philosophy with Education

DAPS - don't know , but SpLD is Specific Learning Difficultly (as in dyslexia)

SENCO is Special Needs Coordinator (in a school)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by - The Bird on 08 Mar 2006 12:42:55

minstrels

United Kingdom

4465 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 : 12:43:02

B.Phil. Ed. DAPS (spLD) SENCo

Not sure about everything but

SENCO = Special Educational Needs Cordinator

springbride06

United Kingdom

322 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 : 12:43:44

A BPhil is generally (I think only) a postgraduate qualification, rather like an MPhil. The only one I know of is the BPhil in Philosophy at Oxford - seems rather unlikely it would be that. A B.Phil in education? Perhaps...

Bella McCarthy

United Kingdom

8753 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 : 12:46:32

DAPS can refer to Distance Assisted Private Study (ie, distance learning courses) but I don't know if it's relevant here.

The Bird

United Kingdom

16983 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 : 12:47:53

quote:

Originally posted by Bella McCarthy

DAPS can refer to Distance Assisted Private Study (ie, distance learning courses) but I don't know if it's relevant here.

Ah it could be because I know you can do specific eduction 'qualifications' (more like certificates) in Specific Learning Difficulties

Fiorelli, I didn't mind at all! It's quite interesting that nobody can quite put their fingers on it...shows how she is trying to befuddle me...now I know she's even 'making up/adding to' her 'titles' when she shouldn't, only shows she's a real old fraud :jester: maybe she is a philosophy teacher, or does it just mean she has a very philosophical outlook on life?

Ooh, I am sooooooo impressed.... nope

Oh yes LKS, nice one. Must have taken you a while to come up with!

min I'm very sad,longer than you think :) and apologies to all those lovely sencos out there that do a brilliant job. :devil:

Just so's you know, 'The Bird' is actually a Secondary school teacher/year co-ordinator (I think that is her title), and the other have degrees in different areas, so all 'know' what they are talking about when it comes to deciphering letters after a name.