Sign in to follow this  
Stephanie

Epsom Salts

OK a few of you have asked me about Epsom Salts because I said I was going to try it.

It is magnesium sulphate (you can buy it in bulk on the net, or from the chemist) otherwise known as Epsom Salts. It is really cheap and you need a cupful per 60lbs of your childs body weight in a hot bath. Don't let them drink the water!

I could go into what I understand about it, but it probably wouldn't be right and somebody would come on here and tell me off for stating the wrong facts.

All I know is it is a therapy used with a lot of ASD kids (and stressed out adults) to calm them down and make them sleep better - it detoxifies the body and gives the child extra magnesium which is absorbed through the skin via the bath water.

I have just ordered some, two friends and I went in together on a bulk purchase to reduce the postage costs so all three of us are first time guinea pigs. I will let you know my findings once I have tried it.

If anyone has tried it and can explain the science, or sing it's praises or otherwise, please leave a message.

(There are lots of websites about it, if you do a search).

Got to be worth a try!

Hi ya Stephanie,

I have read a book on arthritis and it said that if you use Epsom Salts in the bath it helps reduce the pain (build up of acid in the joints)but had never heard it used for ASD thats amazing. I have some epsom salts at home (not quite enough though according to your weight for child) so i am gonna use it tonight. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone so to speak coz he has arthritis and AS (sleeping problems)

In the book i read it did say that if you do have a epsom salts bath, make sure that you do not catch a chill after the bath - go straight to bed and wrap up warm. Not sure why but thats the advice it gives you.

let me know if it works for you

justamom

I mentioned it to my son's cranial osteopath yesterday, and she said that bathing in it causes you to sweat a lot, as that is how the impurities are drawn out, and to go straight to bed afterwards as it makes you feel exhausted. Taken as a drink it is supposed to be a very good cure for constipation, and I think one of the links to Autism is the dodgy gut problem that seems to be a trait in some AS people. (Apparently the 'purge' is also true of bathing in it, but in a much milder way). I found this on the web which explains it much better than me:

Many doctors believe that autism is accompanied by bowel disorders that make it difficult to absorb nutrients and to purge the body of wastes. Sulfates, one of the major components of Epsom Salt, have been shown effective in improving nutrient absorption and toxin elimination. Magnesium, the other major component of Epsom Salt, has a demonstrated calming effect and plays a role in the activity of more than 325 enzymes. Because both magnesium and sulfates can be absorbed through the skin, many parents report that giving their child a warm bath with 1-2 cups of dissolved Epsom Salt just before bedtime helps extend the child's sleep cycle and ease digestive function.

I've been thinking about using it, the pharmacy I use (isn't local as they are useless) have said they will order some in but t make sure he drinks plenty if I use it as can make them dehydrated.

I found this link which has some feedback on it aswell as some instructions http://www.bbbautism.com/epsom_condensed_plaintext.htm inc this comment from Paul Shattock which I found quite interesting

?Sulfation also plays an important part in detoxifying the body, according to Paul Shattock. These children do not absorb sulfur-based substances well. He recommended giving children baths in Epsom salts two or three times a week to help sulfur be absorbed through the skin. Although baths are best, he also suggested that bottle with a sponge tip (such as those used for dish detergent) could be used as an applicator to wet the skin with a mixture of Epsom salts and water. ? From the Biology of Autism conference: http://autismcoach.com/page2.html

I'm really interested in trying this for my daughter - for all the reasons mentioned (sleep, constipation etc). Although before I go about buying a tonne of the stuff - wondered if anyone knows if it has a smell - only that my daughter is extremely sensitive to smells.

Many thanks,

I'm really interested in trying this for my daughter - for all the reasons mentioned (sleep, constipation etc). Although before I go about buying a tonne of the stuff - wondered if anyone knows if it has a smell - only that my daughter is extremely sensitive to smells.

Many thanks,

Just been up and taken a good whiff of our Boots Epsom salts and there is no discernable smell at all - however you do have to stir it into the water well if your little one is sensitive as it is a bit gritty underfoot until it dissolves properly. I've only been doing very weak solutions as its virtually impossible to stop my little one drinking the water.....

I had an epsom salts bath last night, i thought that i would try it out before i put my son in the bath in case of the smell etc ( like jb1964). It was very refreshing and i went to bed straight afterwards, i did feel quite tired. Zaman said it would make you feel tired and i had a very good nights kip.

No smells that i could smell but our Aspies i know do have very sensitive noses.

Guest hallyscomet

Hi,

I copied this over from another topic about MMR and how I researched Epsom salts, to tired to re-write it.

Have a read,

regards

Hailey

>:D<<'>

>:D<<'> I have Shaz, but I believe their is help for your child these days. Mine was too late. I have researched this to bits, I have rambled on a bit below about a process that can help. I have a Pharmacy near me that has Paediatricians recommending this type of treatment and a Paediatrician that will advise you

But firstly, lets just pray that it doesn't have the same effect, they say they have improved the MMR since. It was the Mercury in it that effect some children.

The following methods are being used by Paediatricians over here and I am sure over there in the UK. I will try to find some stuff about this from the Paediatrician, to prove to you that this isn't cr*p.

Take a moment to read the whole thing, its a safe form of Chelation to help your child excrete the metals and Mercury that could harm him.

Apparently the Epsom Salt baths help your child excrete the metals, in his system. There are two highly regarded Paediatricians over here talking about a safe type of Chelation therapy, the Epsom Salts is part of it also Clay Baths, ring around all the Pharmacies in your area, and ask if they know anything about Chelation using Epson Salts and Clay Baths. As your child has just had the injection, it could work, to stop having anyside effects.

Just briefly how not only the MMR but many injections affect our ASD children, is that they don't excrete the metals through their skin and hair like NT children. (But ring your Pharmacy and see if they have removed the Mercury from the MMR yet. (this will be good news if it isn't present) we maybe worrying over :pray:

nothing.

To Prove this - There is a test that a child can have to see if they are at risk, that is to go to the Naturopath get them to do a test on hair sample. (See if there are metals in the hair) -if their are metals present, that is good, it means your child excretes metals and they don't build up in the system. So MMR will no affect your child. If their are no metals in the hair, then your child is at risk of the metals building up in the system.

So the Epsom Salt and Clay Baths help your child excrete these metals - now is the time to do it just after the injection. Again ask your Pharmacist.

If your child starts to get Diarroreah or Irritable Bowel the Autism Association over here told me to give my child Aloe Vera Juice, it helps sooth the Colon and protect the colon. You can get it at the Chemist, just add it to fruit juice, it will say on the label for irritable bowel, the other thing they recommend is to give your child plenty of Acidophyllis use the capsule form and put it into yogurt. This is the best type. To give the bacteria in the colon healthy they say IB is caused by the MMR spreading Measles through the Bowel, this happened to my son.

I suggest you source a Paediatrician over there that knows about this therapy -mild Chelation it may very well help, I feel very positive about it Shaz, as you are getting it early.

It was 18 months after my sons MMR that I discovered what you know now, and too late to do anything like this.

Please be calm, keep posting, and I will try and ring the Paediatrician over here and see if he know anyone in the UK you can talk to, if you can't find anyone. Or better still ring the National Autism Assoc. and ring one of the counsellors and explain what has happened and ask them to refer you to a Paediatrician that know about this. They will know about it. But I will still ring our here.

Shaz there is hope. Sorry I may have repeated myself over and over but the phone is ringing and the kids are pestering me for this and that. Sorry. Almost 11pm here, minds a bit tired. Will try to find some links to prove this theory.

Hailey :wub:

Here is one Link: Dr Underwood Paediatrician see link, will try and find a better one

http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/stories/1293.asp

http://mindd.org/serendipity/archives.php/50-Events.html

http://www.autism.net.au/Biomedical_Assessment.htm

this is an alternative link about Epsom salts http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/detox.htm

OK so I just tried the Epsom Salts (on my 5 year old).

It is colourless, tasteless (well I needed to try) and doesn't smell of anything.

I added a cup and half to hot water then added cold when it had dissolved (it fully dissolved, no residue). I rubbed his skin all over with a flannel to open up the pores and then let in him sit in there a while. I didn't wash his hair or use soap whilst he was in there (don't know if you can or not). He was in there about 20 minutes.

He got out of the bath and seemed fine, no change really .... he doesn't smell of anything, there is no residue on his body.

He sleeps well anyway so I am not expecting that to change.

Will let you know our progress.

Well, frankly I'm amazed that you managed to give your kids an epsom-salts bath... I gave Ben one GLASS of the stuff and he couldn't keep it down... ;)

Seriously, there is a bit of science behind this, and it is mentioned in Paul Shattocks research. Can't remember the 'ins and outs' but basically research has shown that many children on the spectrum suffer mineral deficiencies of exactly the kind found in these salts, when compared to the general population... not sure (from memory) whether the body doesn't retain them properly, or whether it's that they don't produce enough of them independently, but either way, absorbtion through the pores via a bath proves a very effective and non-confrontational way of 'topping up'...

hope that's helpful...

L&P

BD

We went for the Epsom Salts baths last night. The kids had theirs first, and didn't notice anything different. But they both went to bed earlier than usual becuase they wanted to, and slept like logs. My NT daughter said that she'd had a lot of dreams this morning. And my son was singing from the moment he woke up to going into school! He even told my husband 'I love your clothes' - an outfit he has seen hundreds of times before. It was like he'd taken a happy pill. Who knows how much it was to do with the bath, but he really benefitted from such a good night's sleep.

I had my bath, and I could notice a slight smell when the salts had disolved - but nothing offensive - reminded me of my nan's bathroom smell. You can feel it on your skin in the bath, as it makes it feel smooth, and you can see it attatching itself to the hairs on your arms and legs - but only if you look (something which my daughter noticed on herself). I also slept like a log, which is unheard of for me, as I usually wake in the early hours and lie in bed worrying about things.

Will definatley try and do the baths every other day for us all (husband has yet to try).

After the nightmare day I have had - locking two 14 month olds in my friends car in a lonesome car park in Hazlemere with an alarm going off every 2 minutes and having two screaming babies looking at me through the window begging me to help them ... I think I'll be having an Epsom salts bath tonight!

fascinating idea.

Occasionally I put epsom salts in my son's bath esp when I think he might be having some muscle aches or growing pains but I'd never heard of this. He likes it because we made a special mix by adding food coloring and ecalyptus oil (clears up sinuses!) and he enjoyed stirring up the concoction, even decorated jars for storing it.

Now I have a new reason to use it!

Phenolic is a chemical that occurs naturally in all foods. With some children (ASD ADHD etc) they can not process them and therefore they build up in the body exerting a toxic effect. Hyperness is a common symptom of this. Many children with ASD, ADHD do not process sulfur adequately. Poor sulphur metabolism leads to problems with processing out compounds such as phenols. Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate are very helpful for many people because they supply both magnesium and sulfur in usable forms).

Magnesium is vital for the many enzymes systems that help restore normal energy levels as well as supporting nerve and muscle functions. The primary source of dietary magnesium is whole grains and cereals. If one goes 100 percent gluten free, you lose a primary source of magnesium and could become deficient. A child should receive between around 300-500 milligrams per day.

Enzymes are also essential to process food. In America there have been trials done on ASD children using enzymes and Magnesiun sulfate

Jen

Ok we have had 2 or 3 attempts now.

I also bathed my toddler in it with my other son - then panicked thinking should I have done? Looked it up and couldn't find anything to say otherwise. I have to say though .. he (my 14 month old) was asleep as I was dressing him which is very unusual and it alarmed me .. and then he was talking in his sleep which he never does ... so I spent the night in his room awake!!! (so much for me getting relaxed and falling asleep). He was fine, I was just paranoid.

No real noticable differences to my ASD son though, will keep trying.

Warning though, it can have a laxative effect, even through bathing in it apparently.

Just going back to this, I am giving an epsom salt bath to my son maybe 2-3 times a week, but have seen no change (maybe I was expecting too much), I have also used it myself and didn't feel any different.

Has anyone else had a go??

I have used it with my son K but more for the "drawing out of acids/enzymes" because of his arthritis... Its been extremely helpful..

My mother has been complaining of a achy hand and today i bathed her hand in epsom salts and its seems so much better.

I think its excellent... Are you using the correct dose in the bath??? That could be why its not working for your son... Maybe you need more in the bath could be a possibility

Justamom