Tylers-mum

How beneficial are sensory rooms??

I'm currently having an outhouse that's attached to my home knocked through to make another livable room. I was just thinking of putting in a 2 seater settee and a TV and cupboard but am now learing more towards maybe doing a sensory room for T.

How beneficial are there for our kids and is it really worth doing for a HFA child. He loves lights and fibre optics etc but would it really benefit him or am I better off just sticking to my original idea??

Well, I love going in the Dark Sensory Room with the teenagers at work!!

I think it's a fabby idea...it's so relaxing. We have a projector at work that sends sort of sepia images that revolve round over the ceiling and walls.

Bid :)

I have just had a playhouse/shed built for my son. Although he has his own room he still needs a quiet space, up to now he is VERY keen on it! Ran down to the shed barefoot, 6" of snow at 6am yesterday morning :blink::(

I would like some ideas on sensory, relaxing things to do for him in there too.

thanks A

:o:o:o

Seriously, T-M - don't see why you can't combine the two if you build the TV into the cupboard, and build a ball pool with a 'sofa' at one end... Kill two birds with one stone, as it were...

L&P

BD :D

BD, putting the TB inside the storage cupboard is great thinking but umm, I can do without a ballpooll. T had one as a baby and never again! LOL He still has one ball here from it and i'm STILL finding them around and we've moved house 3 times since then! LOL

Hello everyone,

Tylers-mum, I would combine the two if it is possible, when my son and myself have bad days or a real sensory overload one of the best things for us is to lie in a dark rooom with some of the various Mathmos type lighting, fibre optics and even a touch plasma light, we would not be without ours I feel it should be a must for anyone if they have the possibility of a sensory room.

Steve..

Snigger snigger fnar fnar :o:lol:

I have been looking in to this for both the boys. I am saving to buy special lights for their rooms (these things are so expensive!!).

I would love to have an extra room dedicated to this sort of thing but we just don't have the space.

Lauren

Edited by Lauren

Thanks Steve. :D

Lauren, this house is tiny believe me but the outhouse (used to be 2 sheds) is attached to the house and is solid (brick) so since moving here 3yrs ago, I have always wanted to knock it into another room. Guess this is the only way I'll be getting a sensory room but it'll sooo be worth it in the end. :D

Thanks Steve, I found that one on Google but other than the link you gave me and the London museum, that's just about it. Do you think it's benficial to get the large plasma light that you have (I seen it in the London Museum website I looked up) or the smaller cheaper one??

I've never owned one so i don't know if there's really much difference.

Edited by Tylers-mum

I dont really think it matters I suppose it would be determined by the amount of room available, we have quite a few lights, sometimes we will change them around but my favourite by far is the plasma it's just sooooooo interactive I'm sure that you will feel the same.

Steve..

Thank Steve. Will let you know once the room is finished and the lighting is in place. I'm sure T will love it, he LOVES soft lights. :)

He loves disco lights too so that's something else to consider! LOL

Hello Tylers-mum,

Me again I have a question, has T any sensory intergration diffficulities? we have sensitive hearing hyperacusis.

I really belive that a great many of our so called overloads are indeed a direct result of sensory intergration difficulties and possibly responsible for many childrens and students difficulties within the classroom.

Steve..

We use the rope lights that you get for a tenner from Argos, we have a couple of sets in the boys bedroom that can stay on constantly or flash according to different patterns. It isn't quite a sensory room, but it's a good effect for the money.

Simon

Simon, I seen those on their website and they are on my list. :D

Steve, T was dx with Sensort Integration Dysfunction when he was nearly 4yrs of age, if I remember right. He has tactile defensiveness but also has sensitiveity to loud noises and taste too.

Hiya TM

We're adding stuff to Logans room all the time. So far he has a light tube, one of those fake fish tanks and the light/sound box from QVC. We're going to add one of those wall things soon. I got the THF catalogue through the post and they have some amazing stuff but a lot of it is fairly expensive www.specialneedstoys.com

They have a black light and a white light sensory room in the preschool that Logan will attend and its fabulous - I could spend forever in there.

Lynne x

Thank LLaverty. :) Will go check out that site now but can I ask, what is a black room and a white room???

The black room is where they use the UV lights and it has multi coloured rope lights and bubble tubes. tactile walls and lots of other stuff like that....and the white room is all white, carpet, leather sofas, sheepskin rugs light tubes and fully mirrored. I'm not entirely sure of their different purpose - I think its just different sensations but the black room seems to be used for simulation and the white for relaxation.

Lynne x

Edited by LLaverty

Witht he lighting I'm getting, best have a black room then.

Can here the gasp I make as I start painting on that black paint! Gee, and it's taken me this long to get a LIGHT room after knocking down devider walls. LOL