Sign in to follow this  
curra

Changes as they grow

Looking back, I see changes in my son which are causing me great concern. As a baby he was cuddly and quite sociable, when he was a toddler he played with different toys and loved going out with me anywhere, later he enjoyed swimming, horse riding, going out to the beach or the country to explore and learn about nature, he loved going to the zoo, cinema, parks etc. and he laughed a lot. Only a year ago, he still enjoyed telling jokes, or going for country walks and visiting towns and museums. He's 12 and now he is always in a bad mood, doesn't want to go out or do anything apart from his PC game or talk only about history. :tearful: He gets very angry if I even suggest doing soemthing else. When I have to go out he stays at home alone playing at the PC and when I come back I find him doing exactly the same. Time doesn't seem to pass for him. Nothing interests him except history and he refuses to talk about what he calls "trivial" things. He only wants to lecture me and not have a relaxed casual conversation. He's also like that with other boys at school who used to be his friends but don't call him anymore. He's doing fine at school academically so school is not concerned about him. I'm worried about his mental health and about what it will be like for him when he grows up. He has been going to counseling but so far the improvements have been very small.

Are these changes typical AS? :unsure: I know that all teenagers change but he's really too negative and obsessed. Can anyone please share some thoughts on this? I feel powerless and depressed because I don't know how to get through to him anymore :crying:

Curra

Hormones certainly can make things worse - my 16 yr old AS son has just hit puberty and he is a lot less fun than he was. It seems more normal though, as he is older. My 13 yr old NT son has been a "Kevin" for two years now, and it is harder to accept the "attitude" from him.

My 13 yr old AS son, R, is a games console obsessive. He woudl spend all day on it if he had the choice. I think the difference recently has been that I can leave the Twins at home for a short time while I am out, so they don't get forced to go out as much. R is always better for a daily outing!

I think R is just about to start with the hormones - I am not looking forward to the summer hols, having three hormonal males in the house!

Karen

He's 12 and now he is always in a bad mood, doesn't want to go out or do anything apart from his PC game or talk only about history. :tearful: He gets very angry if I even suggest doing soemthing else. When I have to go out he stays at home alone playing at the PC and when I come back I find him doing exactly the same. Time doesn't seem to pass for him. Nothing interests him except history and he refuses to talk about what he calls "trivial" things. He only wants to lecture me and not have a relaxed casual conversation. He's also like that with other boys at school who used to be his friends but don't call him anymore.

Curra

My daughters 12 and exactly the same - usually on the PC or a games console - she lives in her bedroom has no friends, isn't interested in conversation other than her own interests.

She's also hit puberty the past few months and for the past year has been so depressed it's heartbreaking. She rarely has a smile on her face unless it's watching the Simpsons on TV. Her shoulders are continually hunched when she walks and her mood swings from hormones on top of all her usual anxieties result in hell more often than not.

The CPN has told me that from 11-16 is the hardest period - because of changes in starting secondary school and when they hit puberty on top - it's even harder.

I know all teenagers go through this kind of age but I do think it's harder for them.

Jb

Edited by jb1964

11-16 is the hardest period - because of changes in starting secondary school and when they hit puberty on top - it's even harder.

I know all teenagers go through this kind of age but I do think it's harder for them.

Jb

I think the changes are a bit of both growing up and having AS, my son is 12 and he is going through the simiar things in these posts.. it hard!!!

My Nt daughter was an angel till she hit 12/13 then we went through 12 months of hell on earth as puberty struck.She refuses to go anywhere with us and spent all day and night locked in her room only venturing out for food,money or to yell i hate Youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.Shes just turning back into a normal human being now.Thankgod.

My As son is 12 and is just starting on the moods and i hate yous.he refuses to go places he used to like,moans about stuff and is glued to the ps2.I say hes just jumping on the teenage bandwagan.Hes also more agressive towards his dad.Basically hes a paine in the ar*e.Is it the As nar i dont think so its just its easy to forget that there teenagers just like everyone else but with the As chucked in for good measure.

Teenagers are a paine and its a bloomeing rough ride with bells on when there AS.

Our house is constantly filled with me shouting ill ###### kill yer and our son saying go on then do it.

:(

It does sound like teenage + hormones nightmare (added to AS) and I guess I worry too much. What makes me be really concerned is his lack of interest in anything that is not just the one thing he has in mind. No sports, no films, no music NOTHING, he repeats the same information over and over again and he says it's because he likes to. Anyway, he started taking Risperdal (for anger) and I noticed a slight improvement at the weekend. He asked me to go with him for a walk and he took his plate back to the kitchen!!! (I didn't ask him to) :clap: I just couldn't believe it! But I'm not holding my breath yet...

Thank you all for your replies

>:D<<'>

Curra

Might there be something else stressful going on in his life (eg school) that he finds hard to deal with and so he tries to regain his equilibrium by doing what he likes best - history?

Saying that, my NT 15 year old son is somewhat like that, and just simply needs a good shouting at to clear his mind - I did yesterday and my has he been helpful today, I should give him a verbal hiding more often... :whistle:

This wouldn't work at all on my AS ds of 12 though, also in puberty, that would send him in meltdown...

Might there be something else stressful going on in his life (eg school) that he finds hard to deal with and so he tries to regain his equilibrium by doing what he likes best - history?

Mother in Need,

yes, there are a few stressful things going on in his life, like not having any contact with his dad who acts as if he had forgotten about him, or losing one of his only 2 friends because my son insulted him. He also got bad marks in history which is really frustrating for him. He doesn't see why he has to do homework to improve his marks. This week he will HAVE TO go to the support group (he refuses to ) because he's isolating himself too much.

>:D<<'>

Curra