nellie

De-Statementing children so that money can be given directly to schools.

I stumbled across this possible ceasing to maintain policy on our LEA's website, it looks that they will be advocating this policy in 2007 for statements under 0.6 ptfe (which I think is 15 hours support) ... they are also in the process of re-writing their SEN assessment criteria to go with this, as yet I haven't been able to get a copy of this or the new draft, but they are still putting statements through at the moment on the old criteria (which isn't published on their website .. apparently because of the re-drafting) ...

It is looking bleak at the moment as a lot of children I know with AS are only getting statements for 0.6 which will under the new guidelines be ceased to be maintained by the LEA .... something smell fishy?

HHxx

I was wondering if as nellie says One of the reasons LEAs can give for ceasing to maintain a statement is

* can the child's future needs be met from the schools resources?

Well obviously the answer to that is going to be yes for all those on high incidence statements.

This resources question is one that I think may need to be legally defined.

Resources doesn't always mean money - it can mean human resources, physical resources. Does anyone know where there is a legal definition.

Also the resources question is on part (a very big part!) but maybe the focus of why a statement is needed will have to shift from the catch all of the the school being unable to meet the needs from their own resources....

Have come very late to this thread but very interesting reading. This evening I was at language course. After a man came over and introduced himself as a parent with a child with developmental delay who is now 3 1/2yrs. He is concerned about transition to school and whether Portage can offer anything now. So a discussion followed then he said "Well we were told by the Head that "if X comes in as a delayed learner the school can get lots of money but if has a statement we won't, so don't push for a statement."" So in my mildly subversive manner I did tell him he had a legal right as a parent to ask for statutory assessment. But if that is the information coming from schools how many parents will know any different? Love Kat

Late too to this thread and haven't got time to read all the posts.

Oxfordshire LEA, from April, are giving 80% plus, of their SEN budget direct to secondary schools. Our LEA officer told me this earlier in the year; she told me that it's to ensure that children who need help don't have to wait for it as in the lengthy statement process. I would love to be proved wrong but can't help thinking it's just a pitt of snakes. William is going to secondary school in September without a statement. I'm not really happy with this, but it's what's on offer, without having to go to tribunal. So far the SENCo and HT at the secondary school have been helpful and showed themselves willing to be very flexible. Time will tell how this works or not. In an ideal world it sounds like a great idea, but we all know without doubt that this is NoT and ideal world.

Lauren