Sign in to follow this  
lindy-lou

sensory profiles

hi,i have just had to complete a sensory profile questionaire for India,i didnt realise how many things she does that are sensory!!The OT have talked about desensitizing her and just wondered if anybody would know what that involves?

I think its about challenging her sensory to a high level she can cope with. Sometimes the OT goes too far and meltdowns occur other times she does not go far enough. It also depends what mood and how the child is feeling when they go to the OT. The OT should also have activities your child can participate in to reduce sensory input.

Jen

I think it depends on what the sensory profile indicates.My son did some things with bubble wrap, they wrapped him in a big blanket, like a sausage roll.They also did things with sand , and plasticine etc, I,m not too sure what it all meant because it was a few years ago now, and I did,nt stay for the class, so I just saw what they did in the last 5 mins.He enjoyed it though, they also got them to eat different textured foods, and to crunch, and chew, not easy when you,vegot a fussy eater.

Thanks jen,one of her big problems is feeling water temperature as hotter than it is,how do you think they would help her overcome that?

They will probably start off with different textures then expand from there. I suppose different substance have different temperatures. But it will be interesting to know I will ask my sons sensory OT on Friday.

Jen

Hi

We had to complete a sensory profile for the eldest. We were invited to take part in a course (the A.L.E.R.T programme) which taught us to recognise the behaviours and what is likely to set them off. As Liam is a 'chewer' he was chomping his way through his pencil, hair, and even his clothes and bed, we were advised to give him chewing gum to help him stay on task, to help with his hyperactivity we were told to press on his shoulders and stretch his legs before bed, He also has problems with background noise and cannot concentrate in the classroom, so the school have been given info on how to help him there. Its amazing to think that just one hiccup in the sensory seeking can cause so many problems.

I hope all goes well for you.

Shaz

Hello Lindy,

Sensory integration therapy initially developed for children with sensory defensiveness- excessive /negative reaction to what would be termed ordinary sensory inputs. Usually carried out by an OT. Set of exercises which may involve a varied range of sensory stimuli i.e., materials of differing textures, smells, lights, swings , balls, and even massage it is something that has in actual fact been around for quite sometime.

My son and I are sensitive to sound there are quite a few Asperger folk I know of with this particular problem called Hyperacusis which is an abnormal acuteness of hearing due to increased irritability of the sensory neural mechanism; characterized by intolerance for ordinary sound levels. This can sometimes be for him a contributing factor to his sensory overloads, due to the fact some sounds can be unbearable and others just really hurt. We are soon to see a hearing consultant, I am also aware of a CD which is possible to purchase called Pink Noise which is basically white noise cleaned up, the result is pink noise which is then used to build up a tolerance to the everyday sound of white noise. A good resource site on the subject of Hyperaccusis its research and treatment can be found on http://www.hyperacusis.org hope this is of interest.

Steve..

thanks for the info,they do think she has hyperacusis as she always has her hands over her ears,will let you know how we get on x :)