2pink2blue

What happens next?

Last week we were asked for, and gave, our permission for B to be assessed by Camhs for an ASD. Having been quite shocked at the range of emotions I've been feeling I'm only just now beginning to face it head on.

What will happen next? Our Ed Psych said it was 'lengthy and indepth' but nothing else apart from the fact that perhaps Camhs will now 'get on with it'....seems there has been some confusion with Camhs. It was also our Ed Psych who asked for our permission.

I'm really glad things are beginning to move now but nervous as to what actually will happen.

Can anyone give me any advice? Not sure what to do now.

Hi 2pink2blue

I too am waiting to see CAMHS for assessment. I would also like to know what this involves. Like you, I am experiencing a range of emotions at the moment, and everything seems like its too much to take in sometimes. :blink::tearful:

Sorry I dont have the answer to your question, but i am sure someone will B)

I just wanted to let you know, that you are not alone.

love sarah

Hi 2p2b

I would think you'll get an appointment through from CAHMS.

Usually the first meeting is just a getting to know you meeting. The consultant will want to get some history of your child and go through with you their life since birth - talking over certain milestones or illnesses etc. They usually lead you on all this and they're experienced in knowing how to get as much info from you as they can.

It helps to take notes with you - especially if there has been certain things that you think are important, although usually it's after the meeting that you come home and think - gosh I forgot to mention that etc - and write them down for the next appointment.

It does seem that the process does vary in different health authorities and obviously the age of the child means different approaches.

My daughter was 12 when she was diagnosed and went through a 6 month period of assessment - visiting the unit one day per week (from 10am to 2pm) and a CPN visiting the home every 1/2 weeks for 1-2hours. With family group sessions once a fortnight to work through the information they were gathering etc.

Hope you hear from them soon, good luck,

Jb

hi, i saw cahms last week - it took 2 months from referral to see them.

they dx ben in the first meeting - there were 3 people in there and they asked us a lot of questions - ben just sat on the chair and then under the chair!!! they did ask ben a few questions. i have to see them again in 6 weeks time to discuss what the treatment etc will be.

they are also sending one of the team out to bens school to see him at school so that they can recommend what is going to be required re statementing etc. i was impressed with them but i know other people have been more unsure. ben is nearly 5 now

My daughter was refered to camhs recently for an assessment on AS, they refered us on to SOCOM a social and communications group. She was then observed by a SALT and a combination of psychologists, there were 4 of them altogether if you count the 2 who videoed her from behind a 2 way mirror!

we went off and spoke to someone (can't remember who she was) about daughter for an hour while they assessed her. They assessed her on emotions, she didn't do to well on this, social, she didn't do to well on this either, and role play which they said she did well on. They now want to see daughter in school to see how she interacts with her friends to see what is aspergers and what is dyspraxia, From what I can gather the DX will depend on this, ie dyspraxia with aspergers tendencies or aspergers with dyspraxic tendencies.

when we came out I asked her what they asked her, she said she couldn't remember and I said its like getting blood out of a stone, she replied, has a stone got blood in it then ! :lol:

I think the salt was speaking to daughter about something that interested her and daughter never once asked her questions about it, she also had to act out a story and she did the gestures with her hands but her facial expressions didn't change, she had trouble saying what would make her brother annoyed, she said how would I know how he feels. (Daughter never told me this the salt did after).

My daughter wasn't bothered by any of the assessments, she wasn't even phased when we were introduced to the 2 people in the broom cupboard filming her!, where as hubby and I jumped when they said hello to us..

anyway hope this helps a bit

Deb

Thanks for the replies.

Just been in to school for an IEP review meeting and the SENCo had the form from Camhs to fill in. I think this might be from SOCOM deb...

School need to fill the form in and then we need to do any additional info and sign it. Ed Psych is picking it up on Thursday. Anyone done one of these?

It all sounds so scary, especially as half the time I think I imagine most of it. Although today she has been sitting in the classroom with her hands over her ears and shouting at people to go away at playtime. She is also extremely up or down at the moment, possible due to approaching birthday? I'm not sure. Started counting days off til Easter holidays now though....

Don't know anyone who has been or is going through this process so feel very isolated. Your replies really help that. Thank you.