Lynden

Would you consider moving house?

At the moment we have an excellent care team for Logan. We really haven't had to fight for anything, in fact the opposite. We get regular therapy, we've gotten early diagnosis, lots of advice on local help etc etc. I know and really appreciate how lucky we are.

The only downside to our living arrangements at the moment is that my hubby works in London during the week. We have considered us moving down there but I just think it would be really silly to move when we are in the position we are in terms of help. I do also think it'll remain pretty constant at least while he's in pre-school and primary education.

We do deal well with my hubby being away during the week and I have the advantage of family support here whilst I dont in London, but then I do really miss his emotional support when things are tough.

What would you do? I know ultimately its a personal decision and I have almost decided to stay put, but I do think about moving from time to time. Eventually hubby will move back up here permanently but at the moment things are better financially for us with him working there.

Lynne

Edited by LLaverty

Talking as someone who has pretty much no family support (one nice aunty nearby, but she has her own child and has gone back to work), I would really look at the impact that might have on you in a day to day situation

best of luck

London is divided into boroughs and each borough is an LEA in itself. The provision of SEN services varies from borough to borough. Education is Islington and Hackney is privatised.

I'd stay put if I were you - family support is soooo important to me ( my hubby works in London a lot as well ) and like you we also have had lots of help from the services in our area.

that's my tuppence worth in !

Things aren't too bad here either, certainly heard of a lot worse. I wouldn't move unless I was sure I was going to an area which had as good provision. H looked at a job near Plymouth, I'd love to live in the SW but the prospect of poorer provision for Adam made it a non-starter. I can understand how hard it must be for you with your H away during the week

Lx

Speaking from bitter experience and the benefit of hindsight I wouldn't have moved.

Before we moved things were as good as they can get, but I only appreciated this after moving down south and realising how difficult it can be to access services.

If I could go back in time and do it all again I wouldn't budge.

But that's just my experience, yours may be different. I'd definately do some serious research on the area you intend to move to.

Lauren

My son started school last year and we spent forever making sure that the transition was good for him. We have incredibly good support where we are living at the moment and my husband works away like yours during the week. It's working for us although its tough not having your partner around but I know the disruption it would cause to move would make things very much more difficult for the whole family and also we would be uncertain to get the level of support we currently get. I feel we made the correct choice for our family but like you mentioned it is a personal choice and you have to take everything into account.

Lynne

You need to think longer term as well.

It's only worth considering all that disruption if you feel you would be happy making it a permanent move, otherwise you will be dirupting things all over again in a few years time.

Speaking personally we are very lucky with the provision in our area. We have no family here but we have excellent support otherwise and I wouldn't even consider moving anywhere else, but I can see how I might feel differently afte working away from home for a while.

Simon

I would stay where i was, but it is a dilemma for sure. >:D<<'>

I would stay put. I know you mentioned financially your are better off with dh working in London but might it be worth looking more locally for a different job?

Elaine

Hi Lynne

I would say think hard and long because your decision will affect you and your son and your hubby.I couldn't do without my hubby he is a pillow of support and strenght.But on the other hand I know how you mean about the support and help from the services.I think that the right start and the right help throught education is a great stepping stone for our children.

good luck what ever you choose.

Lisa x