Sign in to follow this  
baddad

Jesus!!!

Hi all - attended ben's school's easter service this morning (aren't reception kids TEENY!!! :wub:)

and while i'm not particularly religious myself i was really annoyed by one of the other parents who kept 'tutting' and muttering under her breath about how 'heavy' it all was everytime the priest mentioned God, Jesus and the crucifiction...

Maybe i'm odd, but i sort of expected those things to come up during this particular service, and didn't think it particularly 'heavy' at all (?) :wacko:

Most disconcerting to my mind was the thought that the same mum will probably curl up with her kids this week to watch the Mitchell brothers waging a shotgun gangland battle with their enemies without the word 'heavy' occurring to her at all...

L&P

BD :D

Sadly I'm not surprised at all :(

Next thing you know, they'll be insisting on dragging this Jesus bloke into Christmas!! :angry:

Bid :wacko:

:lol:

Reminds me of one particularly awful Christmas concert my son's infant school did. Titled A Celebration of Celebrations, it managed to cover Diwali, Christmas, Hannukkah, Eid in one not particularly coherent two hour mishmash - and I think Santa popped up somewhere as well :huh: . I don't think the children were left any the wiser as to what any of it meant.

K x

We're Roman Catholic and when the kids are due to make their First Holy Communion they have to attend a six month course with a parent/carer every Sunday before mass. They do come because otherwise the kids can't make their Holy Communions but it gets me is how many are leaving the church as we're going in .... they don't actually stay for the mass :o how these kids supposed to learn about the mass then? :blink:

Im not religious either.

But it used to get on my wick when i used to attend things like harvest festival,christmas stuff ect at my now teenage daughters school becasue there wasnt one mention of jesus god or bloomeing anything.The school had a policy of not mentioning anything remotley religious in case it offended another faith.

Barking bloomeing mad it was.

We went to one so called xmas play that had pop songs in it and no mention at all of baby jesus or bethlahem.Instead it was a modern day rock opera thingy with a teenage pregnancy featured looking for a bed for the night with her boyfreind.My daughter was 9 at the time.

The mind boggles it was a load of old cr*p.

Political correctness gone nutts in some cases.

Another point was they werent allowed to make fathers day cards either coz a lot of the kids fathers had beggered of.Rough ###### school it was i tell yer in fact i live in a rough area when i think about it.Well not rough but deprived and folks are skint.

It gets me this. The whole point of celebrating Easter, Christmas etc is that it is a religious holiday celebrating Christianity. If we can no longer mention God, then we shouldn't celebrate the holiday!

I'm all for a multi cultural society and I think it's nice that we all get the opportunity to learn more about other religions by talking about Diwali etc. but at the end of the day we live in a Christian country and we should be allowed to celebrate that without fear of causing offence.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could all just rub along together, get on with each other and appreciate everyone's differences? Not necessarily agree with them, but let them be?

Must be the sunshine, I've gone all Mary Poppins or sommat.

I'm off to paint some whiskers on kittens............. :lol: (yes, I know that's the Sound of Music)

Thing is its not yer average joe bloggs who is saying we cant celebrate this or that openly,or we cant fly the english flag or shove up christmas decorations or didnt one dozey school say no crosses on hot cross buns. !!!!!!!!

Yer every day memeber of sane society whatever faith dont give a toss about it.

its the bloomeing dozey politicians and other so called idiots in govermental places that are saying oh god we cant mention this or that incase someone gets offended.They dont actually ask the folks there trying not to offend if they are offend 99 % of the time they arent.

I blame the goverment.There a set of idiots.

I agree with you Paula, that this "walking on eggshells" approach to other faiths doesn't usually come from within ordinary communities.

In my experience, most people are tolerant and respectful of those who practise different faiths and are rarely offended by the expression of this. I live in an area with a sizeable Muslim population. My church (C of E) regularly arranges visits to the local mosque down the road and invites people from there to the church to look around and ask questions.

K

I also live in a multi culteral area.Allsorts of folks.Mulling along great side by side.Its the goverment who stir it up with there silly ideas.

Guest hallyscomet

Hi

I find this really infuriating, I am a Catholic and my partner attends mass with me even though he is Protestant, he was President of a well known Fund raising organisation name withheld. We were organising the end of year Christmas party and preparing the flyer for invitations, and a group of four of us were sitting around a table disgusted at the fact that we were not allowed to say "Christmas Party" or anything religious to that effect. I felt like saying stuff you hipocrits, as there are so many different denominations we have to be careful with this wording so as not to offend someone.

My belief, is this is part of our culture, people should just respect that.. :shame:

Hailey