Sign in to follow this  
lindy-lou

can herpes cause autism?

Cold sores are an active virus and your should not be kissing anyone while you have this virus.

It appears that some types of substance vaccine or food is one of the trigger factors for our childrens difficulties. Lots of our children have recurrent ear infections or allergies to different things.

Researchers at the Autism Research Unit believe that some cases of autism may be the consequence of a metabolic disorder caused by eating certain cereals such as wheat, barley, rye,caseim or the primary protein from milk and dairy produce.

It appears that most of our children are very sensitive to certain things and these cause a reaction.

Jen

There is emotive scaremongering, typical of the curbie fraternity, designed to panic parents into spending huge amounts of money on a programme, which may have benefits for some children on the autistic spectrum but is unproven and certainly isn't a cure for autism. One of the reasons that I have little time for son rise is this use of emotive advertising for their programme, any group that needs to go to such lengths to persuade vulnerable parents to use their methods has to be very suspect - I wouldn't go near people like this with a barge pole.

This family obviously believe that son rise can cure their child, and are desperate to raise that money to join the programme - I see them as victims in this, very sad. I understand their desperation but I cannot support them in this.

herpes simplex A, or cold sores, can cause complications, as can any of the herpes viruses - these include chicken pox, shingles, glandular fever, etc. Such complications are rare and while there is a possibility that one of these complications may be to trigger autism in a genetically vulnerable child (we have discussed the idea that an environmental trigger such as the mercury in jabs, might initiate the development of symptoms in a child many times on this forum) I do not know of any other cases of this particular trigger. The herpes virus attacks nerves, usually nerve endings, and I would think that it could cause sensory problems which may look like autism perhaps but I am still dubious.

just my personal take on it, I know some people here have used son rise and feel their children have benefited but I suspect they are mostly a bit more realistic about the impact on their children and more inclined to see it as part of how they help their child rather than as a cure for their autism.

Zemanski

Herpes can go on to become encephalitis and there are links between this and autism. Immune dysfunction is certainly apparent in many people with autism.

I used to get them quite a lot, not so much in recent years, but have got one now and it hurts like hell :crying:

Edited by lil_me

I don't think it directly causes autism AFAIK. Herpes can rarely cause encephalitis a complication of which can be secondary brain damage. If the part of the brain damaged is the part that causes autism then it's possible that the child did develop autism after getting herpes encephalitis.

Is impetigo a different form of "cold sore"???? K gets this alot???

Herpes is a viral infection. Impetigo is different and is caused by a bacteria that lives on the skin

Lx

Hmm i never knew one way or another but i cant say i have ever ever heard of herpes being linked to Autism,thought that ebay link would cause panic really,maybe they should explain more how the Herpes has caused his Autism,i shall maybe email them and ask!!

Now that I am finished using the sick bucket :sick: because I find anything like this very distasteful I will say that the month before I fell pregnant with Matthew I was struck down with the Herpes Virus, and I do mean struck down. I had never had a cold sore in my life but when the virus stuck I was ill for several weeks. I ran a temp pretty solidly for 3 weeks. The virus affected my gums and I had massive dental problems afterwards. I was generally really poorly and it was the very first thing that came to my mind when I did discover that I was pregnant and the thought has pretty much stayed with me ever since.

I did ask my GP and the hospital but they both told me not to over react. I don't think that I was personally. Lot's of these virus's are inter-linked and I wont discount any of them.

What I will discount is the fact that Son Rise or any other cure-all can cure autism or whatever name we wish to give ASD. I personally have HUGE doubts that Raun Kaufman was ever autistic :o - I am ready to be shot at dawn for saying this - but I do believe that his parents were very clever people. I do know many other people who share my views about this to. Have we ever seen an video's of these adults who have been cured when they were children with autism? I never have.

That's not to say that we sit back and do nothing and maybe even do a programme with our kids but not in the hope that it will 'cure' them.

Carole

Edited by carole