Guest Frangipani

Surf photos from Aussie

Guest hallyscomet

Hi there,

Was quite a crowd at the beach today, all the beaches are closed as we are expecting more waves around 5 metres today and over the next few days. Finally I got down to Long Reef Headland which looks all the way to the Central coast and south down to Manly.

There are photos as you will see I got drenched as they quickly came up to surprise me :lol::lol: and if you are wondering, I am not in any of the photos :P:lol:

So I started taking photos of Long Reef, Collary & Narrabeen then south over Long Reef Beach and Dee Why, then I went to Freshwater taking photos of Curl Curl, then Freshwater Pool where kids were bravely hanging on in the white wash and I became part of the white wash :lol::lol::lol: freaky. Then the photos go back to

Dee Why Beach /Long Reef the northern end of Dee Why where you will notice a huge crowd watching more teenagers grasping the chains and huge white wash. Unfortunately some of the photos make it hard to imagine how big these waves were, but most were 3 - 5 metres high, on some you just have to look at the white wash trashing up the headlands to see they were travelling and forcing the spray at heights of 15-20 metres.

Would have gone up to Palm Beach,but when I stood on Long Reef Headland, You could see the waveswere much bigger south of there than north.

Thanks to my son I can show you them:

Hailey. The first four photos are not clear but the rest are really good clear quality

UPLOADED: http://members.optusnet.com.au/iblu/photos/

(not all could be uploaded because of the quota limit for each file)

Edited by hallyscomet

Guest hallyscomet

Hi,

Just thought I would explain, the surf isn't usually this rough, it is usually at lot more tranquil,but all the beaches were closed to swimming today because of a low pressure system coming our way from New Zealand,

apparently the waves will get bigger, some beaches were just rough and a wash and Coogee was maxing 5-6metres.

H.

Hi Halley,

Wow :o those waves are scarey. Apart from that, it looks absolutely stunning.

A friend of mine used to live in Coogee :)

Annie

xx

Edited by annie

Hailey,

It looks lovely there. Was that you sitting on the rocks with that huge wave beside you?

Youre braver than me, I would have run a mile. :D

Brook

Guest hallyscomet

No, Brook,

It wasnt me very similar but a few kilo's lighter, need to get out walking again :lol::lol:

There are a few photos of the sky only or of the ground that was because I had several surprises where they came right up to me the one of the concrete I had just tripped over a bicycle trying to run away :lol::lol: waves are so unpredictable and you dont hear them coming up, when you are clicking away with a camera, I had a few rude shocks as you can see I was a distance from the water and these close ups came from nowhere :o:lol::lol: you have to watch it.

Hailey >:D<<'>

Edited by hallyscomet

I was just thinking, Justamom, that some of the scenes remind me of bits of the Eastern Cape in SA where we used to be... Certainly felt a pang of envy looking at those blue skies. :wub:

Hailey thanks for showing us these - you've been busy! I haven't quite finished looking through them all.

This afternoon we had a freak snowstorm, a total blizzard for a few minutes after a morning of relatively warm sunshine. Bizarre. :huh::wacko:

K x

Considering we have just had snow, those pictures look very inviting, I would love to feel that warm air right now.

We have just had a nasty storm, hailstones and followed by huge lumps of slushy snow. :huh:

Send that weather our way Hailey. :pray:

Guest hallyscomet

Warm weather coming right up :dance::dance::dance:

Sorry guys I didnt realise how cold it is there. When will it start warming up. I love the snow, but we have to drive 6 hours if we want to see or touch it. :huh:

Well, I hope it starts to warm up over there so you can get out the swimmers and enjoy the outdoors.

Sorry to day, today is another day full of warm sunshine. Did you notice the crowds at the beach this is why I am happy I live so close the weekends become crammed with visitors but during the week I feel like I have this all to myself.... thats where I do my early morning walk,it so peaceful.

Okay, now sending you lots of warm hot air, and moving the sun a bit closer to you....... there..... :devil:

if only..... oh well, it won't be long now.

Kathryn, where did you grow up,sounds really beautiful, you have mentioned SA a couple of times but not sure where.

Its a beautiful place..... must have been hard to leave.

H.

Hailey,

I boast that I lived in 4 different countries during my childhood, without moving at all: (Southern Rhodesia - Rhodesia - Zimbabwe Rhodesia - Zimbabwe :huh: ) . I spent my university years in South Africa - in a place called Grahamstown in the Eastern Cape. After we got married in Cape Town we lived in Port Elizabeth, also in the Eastern Cape. The coastal stretch between Cape Town and Port Elizabeth, called the Garden Route, has some of the most beautiful scenery in the world (in my unbiased opinion ;) )

Justamom menthions Durban, which is a bit further east - we used to go there for holidays every year when I was a child (3 days car journey from Harare) - great memories. :wub:

K x

Guest hallyscomet

Sounds lovely Kathryn

Years ago we have a friend who lived in Australia who returned to Capetown SA Johannesburg, we put a special photo album together as a send off with photo's of all our friends at work as a keepsake. He was so taken by this he gave me a beautiful book on Cape Town I still have today. He surprised me with this in appreciation for the photo album. :wub: I remember a dozen of us going to the airport to say goodbye and my friend and I were basket cases, as we started crying and couldnt stop :lol::lol::lol:

All his family were over there so he was very homesick.

I bet you miss it too, you are right it is one of the most beautiful places in the world. Photographers and artists travel there to capture this beauty.

Hailey :)

Edited by hallyscomet