Sign in to follow this  
LKS

what feedback do you get from EP

On the 21st March EP went in to school to observe dd in preparation for annual review. LSA said she spent about an hour in class. She then had meeting with senco, CT and 1 of the LSA's (not me however, never invited to these meetings) Anyway had to phone her today about a different matter and asked when I might be receiving a copy of her notes on the classroom obs. ( I only asked for this because whenever my statemented ds was observed by an EP I always received a copy of the observations, discussions and any recommendations)She said these were just verbal, I asked whether this would be part of her input to the annual review and she said yes. This EP has always questioned why I need to know information about my dd and believes I should leave it to the professionals. She was extremely 'off' with me in the end :( But I'm sorry I am quite certain she has recorded this observation in writing and I want to know what they are. Also found out that she was the one who recommended that my dd wait in a different part of the playground in the morning, to increase her independence. She also said that in a special school they would expect a far higher level of independence from a child :angry: This really b****y annoyed me as we have all been working really hard with dd and the areas where she remains quite reliant on her LSA are literacy and numeracy, probably because she can't read :wallbash: Sometimes I get so weary!!!!!!

EP has observed my son twice (maybe 3 times ?).

i have spoken to her twice in school and hubbie came in for one of the meetings.

the 2nd meeting (with hubbie) she gave some verbal feedback to us about the observations and tests she has done.

she has rang me twice at home. once with some feedback re questions we had and once to let me know the written report was on its way and to apologise it had taken longer than usual.

we then rec'd the written report 2 days later

i can't fault our EP.

she has written our concerns in the report. given schools views and backed them up with her observations

just hoping it helps him :wacko:

surely you should be informed of any observation done by any professional and given some feedback.

i would be asking again but putting your request in writing

I think there is a professional requirement to keep accurate records.

I am horrified that there is only a 'verbal account' - if this was not a full assessment then there should have been filled out a 'Record of Involvement' which is handwritten by the EP and has various coloured copies - inlcluding 'green' which I think is the parents copy.

Perhaps SEN Operations at the DfES may be able to give some guidance on this :rolleyes:

You should also be informed of an observation on your child and should be given the option of being there whilst the observation/testing is being udertaken.

I know which LEA you are - otherwise I would swear you lived down my way!!!

We were assured by the Head of Pupil, Parent and Youth Services that it is always the policy to ensure that the parents know about these observations - there were about 30 witnesses to that one :lol:

There was an attempt by an EP to observe my son - for Tribunal purposes - without my knowledge or consent. I kicked up stink and got three letters of apology for not informing me, and two phone calls - so there is no smoke without fire!!! Go for it LKS :ninja:

thanks both :D Helen I was informed of this visit at 3.30 p.m. the day before :huh: The record of involvement is very interesting. I cannot believe that any professional involved with our children would not keep some sort of written record on observations. I get a little bit P****d off that they continue to have these informal little chats and NEVER bother to tell me what they have discussed. I'll follow my phonecall up with a letter. Just to confirm our telephone conversation in which she informed me that there are no written records of this observation :devil:

Hi LKS

Good thinking - and copy it in to Head of Pupil Parent and Yoof - then they are a party to and have knowledge of some very dodgy practices. You never know - you may have to call them in to account at a later date and you may have to prove that they had knowledge of wrongdoing :ninja:

Can't be bothered to go back on to the previous thread (I am so lazyyy) but I think the DfES might like to hear of some 'alternative' interpretations of the COP :lol: Especially if, you think it is a pretty 'unique' way of interpreting. My LEA - COP says ALL the childs SEN at Part 2 - my LEA say - no - that makes it too hard to read - we just need to have an overview of the child at Part 2'

May be teaching granny to suck an egg - but in the COP - the bits that are in BOLD and have a border around are the 'legal' bits that underpin the COP.

Maybe just say inyour letter - that verbal is not a good idea- better in writing then there can be no misunderstandings about what was said and what was decided. :ninja:.

HelenL

LKS - I am being a bit dim today - but - if this is for a statement review - then HT has to circulate all the reports to everyone (including parents) at least two weeks before the meeting! There has to be a written report. This is a bit worrying because the LEA decide after the meeting whether to amend the statement or more imprtantly they can decide to cease the statement.

One of our parents attended the review meeting but because there was no report from the EP - she said that she wanted it to be recorded that this was an interim meeting because procedure had not been followed and she was not happy that it be deemed to be a review meeting. She has stuck to her guns and a proper review meeting has been re-scheduled.

HelenL

Helen. Haven't been given a date for annual review yet. It's usually in May but we have a new senco starting so I think the HT will ask for a later date, might agree, depends how nice they are to me :devil:

The list of schools saga, that bit is in the back of the COP under the statutory laws, so how on earth can an LEA 'refuse' to send one out because it is a waste of paper and an exercise in confusion for parents :angry: The Dfes should have come down on them like a ton of bricks.

I think that unfortunately some EPs do not act in good faith and it's best to consider that this may be the case. The EP who saw my daughter as part of her statutory assessment telephoned our private nursery behind my back and asked if she could come in and observe her. Luckily our nursery is great and will not allow them in because they know their intentions may not be good. I am sure this is not the case everywhere but you have to be cautious. Sad but true.

And as for all this nonsense about parents leaving it to the supposed professionals, well as parents we are the most qualified experts on our children's conditions - they just try to leave you out because it makes their lives easier. EPs are not always experts anyway - certainly they don't have the expertise of a clinical psychologist - they are often just teachers with a bit of extra training. Our EP clearly knows nothing about classic autism since she seems to think my daughter will be able to learn language and social skills from her peers. LOL

I have spoken to the E.P. again and surprise surprise she does have a typed report on the observation on my dd :angry: She said she will phone me Thursday and discuss it with me. I said please send me a copy first and then phone me :devil: Surely I should have been sent a copy of this, makes you wonder what else is lurking in her file :wacko:

Humm EP is a swear word to me!!

DD8 first EP caused me 3 pts on my driving licence. I had recieved a report of her one morning and i was soooo fuming i forgot to slow down, I think i was doing 37 in a 30 area.

She had only copied and pasted 3/4 of a previous report in to a new report. The most annoying thing that she wrote was that she had recently met up with both parents......HELLO you haven't seen or spoken to my husband in over 1 and a half years!!

DD7 Ep visited DD in October 1 about 3/4 yrs ago. I asked her about putting DD forward for a place at a special resourced nursery and she said yes that she would do that.

Comes to christmas and i thought i would see if she was on the waiting list for the nursery. Nope!! They havn't heard of her. Asked how do i get her on the list and they said that they needed an EP report . Phoned the EP who refused to do it!! Said that the SRP panel didn't need her report and that she wasn't doing the report until the end of Jan when it was due!!!!

Unfortunatley she has still got this EP.

Oh for God's sake Col you go round and round in circles don't you :wacko: I am just wondering, why do an observation in class, meet with CT, LSA and senco have a discussion, make recommendations, type it up and then don't mention it to the parent :wallbash: Then they wonder why parents get upset.