Sign in to follow this  
SkyBlue

Info on practical/emotional support

Hi there,

I was wondering, does anyone know of any services of practical/emotional support that the Government runs to help families with ASD?

I know there are plenty offered by the NAS such as earlybird, help! and befriending, but wondered if the Government fully fund, or help to fund, any service's like these?

Is anyone aware of any?

Thanks, SkyBlue :)

Hi Skyblue,

I don't know of any - I asked this question to the CPN when my daughter was going through her assessments - and she told me that in our area there is no support from the NHS - although my daughter does see the CPN every 3 weeks to help her with 'awareness' - although I think that will be pulled soon though.

Jb

Not sure if this is what you were particularly asking about, but we were given some help by social services. They arranged for our daughter to attend nursery throughout school hols, a couple of days a week, to give us time with our older two children. A form of respite really. She went to a private nursery 5 mornings a week during term time, but obviously was not covered during school hols, which social services arranged payment for. We found the help they gave us a god send, although now she is at school full time so we no longer feel the need for it. We've been told in the future,should we feel we need a break not to hesitate to contact them again. They had lots of services available and could even arrange payments to yourself so you could employ someone you trust ie family member to give you some respite.

Take care,

Debs