Elenes

Can a non-statemented child get into a Special School

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether a child can get into a Special School if they only have a note in lieu of a stetement?

If so, how would you recommend I approach this?

Do all LEA's have at least one school that is mainstream with an attached ASD unit? Or is this a phenomenon in just some parts of the country?

Finally,...sorry,...is there a 'fast track' way of going through the Statutory Assessment process if things have reached crisis point?

I would appreciate your advice.

Thank you.

Elenes

I know of a 6 year old who was not coping at school. Yet the school said he did not have any problems. In the end the child was transferred to a special school with out a statement. So these things can happen

Jen

Nathan was given a place at 4 whilst his statement was finalised, but they have moved the goalposts in the last 12 years so I do not know if this still applies.

Sorry don't really have answers but sounds like a few >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> were needed. Good luck :robbie:

>>>I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether a child can get into a Special School if they only have a note in lieu of a stetement?

In general no, but as jen says, all sorts of things can happen in a crisis. Sometimes the child is given a trial in a special school, and the statement is sorted whilst the child is there.

>>>Do all LEA's have at least one school that is mainstream with an attached ASD unit? Or is this a phenomenon in just some parts of the country?

No - it depends on what sort of provsion the LEA has a preference for. Children need a statement to get into one.

>>>Finally,...sorry,...is there a 'fast track' way of going through the Statutory Assessment process if things have reached crisis point?

I don't know much about notes in lieu, or how easy it is to get them converted into a statement. How long has he had the note in lieu? You could call ipsea for advice.

Karen

hi, im trying to get my 4 year old into a special school on an assessment place at the moment as we are moving LEA. ive had to write a long report plus his school have had to send a report to the ed psyc in the new area. he has a formal dx but as he has been late being dx he is only on school action at the moment so ill let youknow if im sucessful in getting aplace

what im trying tosay is maybe it may be worth contacting your ed psych in your LEA to see if they can support you in getting a place at a special school and if you have sufficent grounds. im applying on the basis thata s we are moving LEA, then the new LEA do not know of him so he can hopefully get an emergency placement but time will tell!!!!!

Some LEAs have SEN schools or mainstream schools with SEN departments but what's offered varies from LEA to LEA. You can get your kid into a mainstream school with an SEN department without a statement if you can convince the school that your kid is in need of or will benefit highly from the SEN facilities offered by the school. I think you can get your kid into an LEA run SEN school within your LEA without a statement although your kid will be considered lower priority for places, but you can't get your kid into an LEA funded indepedent SEN school unless they have a statement and permission from the LEA.

hi elenes why dont you phone enquire they can give you all the information you need or they can put you in touch with the correct person you need to speak with the number is helpline 0845 123 23 03 or log onto www.enquire.org.uk

hope that helps

opheila