Sign in to follow this  
openyoureyes

Smart Board

Hi all

Had a conversation with a lady yesterday and my son 11yrs is struggling with litracy at school, she asked

if he a Smart Board. Obviously he has not, could anyone tell me what they do and where I could go and

see one in action? or any web site that has details

thanks

This link shows you what they are. They are brilliant for schools as unlike a normal projector which just (by definition) projects, these come with a touch sensitive screen. They are NOT cheap and, to be honest, not suitable for anything other than home cinema use (so just get a projector, it would cost less) or in schools for teacher doing 'whole class teaching'. Anyway hope this helps.

Hi all

Had a conversation with a lady yesterday and my son 11yrs is struggling with litracy at school, she asked

if he a Smart Board. Obviously he has not, could anyone tell me what they do and where I could go and

see one in action? or any web site that has details

thanks

Or are you maybe thinking about an Alpha Smart, ( http://www.alphasmart.com/ ) these are often used for children who struggle with litracy.

yes it looks like the AlphaSmart, but how does it work? I have never actually seen one in the flesh "so to speak". Would this help him in the classroom and how??

if anyone knows I would really appreciate it, also does anyone know where you can see one in action??

thanks

Hi open your eyes. My ds used an alpha-smart in yrs 4-6 of primary. It is a small light weight word processor. It has a kepboard and a small screen that shows about 4 lines of text as you go along. My ds found it quite helpful at first but it has limited use as the child gets older. What literacy problems does your son have. If it is presentation and handwriting then the alpha smart can help him. It can hold quite a bit of work and has a cable that enables you to print out through a computer. If your son has problems with spellings and ideas it is not so helpful. It has spell-check which is o.k, but we found the spelling had to be pretty close otherwise the alpha wouldn't recognise it. That link that tensing posted shows you what they look like and what they can do. Hope that helps.

smart boards are often a real problem for children with ASD, use with caution.

to precis

the classroom environment should reduce sensory stress not increase it - therefore to reduce stimulus is generally a good idea

Which is why even in the classrooms where our ASD children are we have their desks set out to one side with a screen available so that even the classroom whiteboard isn't on view from the childrens seat. In effect they have their own 'office' in which sensory stimuli are kept to a minimum. It makes a difference even when the whiteboard is being used with the computer and projector (we don't have smartboards in the class - my school isn't that posh!).

Com loves smartboards and will take over any lesson using them mainly because he understands them better than most staff, the trouble has always been getting him off them so I suppose the distraction element is an issue for him even though he is happy with the visuals.

Z