Sign in to follow this  
shortie

blood test monday!!help

my 3yr old DD has to have blood test monday and urine test,any ideas how to keep her calm,i know she,ll freak when nurse goes near her and how do they get urine sample from a chlid still in nappies who is terrified of toilet and potty!!this is her first lot of tests,bloods anyway,she was only dx 3wks ago and dr said its routine!!well the sight and hearing test were bad enough :rolleyes:

Hello, dont worry, the hardest thing will probably trying to stop her taking some plastic patches off herself as they will give her special cream to numb her where the needle will go, then they put see through patches on the cream and it is left on for half an hour or something, so they dont feel the needle. and i think they may end up wanting a sopping nappy. dont worry it will all be fine.x

Hi Shortie,

Hope all goes well for you. As lotty says for her injection they'll put on some 'magic cream' which is supposed to numb the area - this has to be left on for about half an hour or so.

As for taking a urine sample - I know when my daughter was in hospital when she was younger and in nappies - they stick on a little kind of bag to catch the urine and replace the nappy over the top - it doesn't always work though and I think it depends what kind of urine sample it is - if it has to be a sterile sample then I think they can't do it this way.

Take care, good luck,

Jb

Edited by jb1964

Same here. Our daughter had endless urine & blood tests due to MD. They attached a bag to her nether regions inside her nappy....sometimes worked,sometimes didn't :(

Blood tests....no cream offered for us I'm afraid. Didn't even know she could have any till I read previous posts. Generally held down, screaming, kicking, fighting ..... :tearful: Dreadful! Glad they are over with as they kept having to be repeated :rolleyes:

Hope it all goes ok for you :D

EMLA cream.

For us it is more stressful trying to keep the cream on for half an hour than just pinning him down and getting the blood.

EMLA cream.

For us it is more stressful trying to keep the cream on for half an hour than just pinning him down and getting the blood.

that was our problem he didnt like the patches