Sign in to follow this  
PinkSapphireAngel

Another load of nonsense letter from LEA!

:wallbash:

I had been "discussing" the fact my ASD son does not have a secondary school place for Septmber by email with the admissions department at the LEA and the head of the LEA was supposedly investigating things huh!

Well I got a letter this morning from this man telling me not only is my son not guarrenteed a statement of the statutory assessment they are undertaking after the order of the tribunal,(Just let them try to refuse a statement after all this!)

but also that it is OUR legal reposnsibility to get him a school place for September

They have given the names of 3 schools with vaccancies (which of course we would have listed IF we thought they were appropriate for our son in this first place!)

They are doing the statutory assessment at the moment so I am not sure how best to handle this situation with LEA and the secondary school thing other than to leave it as it stands that I will be home schooling Luke in September, but I am so angry with the LEA!!

At this stage they are right - if your child does not have a statement, then you have to go through the normal school place procedure.

Do you think one of the schools suggested will be suitable if your child gets a statement - or are you looking for a different type of school?

Karen

No I don't think any of them are appropriate really, the joke is they are all actually further away from us than the 2 we listed and were not offered places at because we were out of the catchment area.

I realise without a statement they have no obligation to help but my point is that that itself is WRONG as even without yet having a statement my son does have recognised complex needs (which the LEA fully know as they agreed extra support for him for his year 6 SATS this week)

Its a stupid system!

I don't know if this helps, but they have to decide within 10 weeks of being ordered by the Tribunal to issue a statement or a not in lieu. From memory, it has been about 3 weeks? - so keep your eye on the timetable.

If they decide to statement then they have a further two weeks in which to write a proposed statement (i.e - 12 weeks from the Tribunal Order)

I don't know how this fits in with your plans but you should know before the end of the academic year.

Mind you - I hate to be the bringer of glad tidings - but if you do get a statement, it can take a while before it can be finalised and then you may need to go back to Tribunal :crying:

Not being a half empty person - but this seems to be the pattern of things and I suppose that every week of saved money goes towards preserving the pensions!

HelenL

Thanks Helen,

I am fully prepared and half expecting to have to go back to Tribunal as I know what my LEA are like and think even if they do decide to statement straight away(without going back to Tribunal to make them)

it will be a dodgy one and I will have to push them with tribunal to put in all provision etc

Such a joke.

I have emailed the head of Lea back and made my feelings clear as I am not having them even try to insinuate I am shirking MY responsibilities when it is THEM who are doing that themselves.

I am making an appointment to visit a special school with my son once he has finished the dreaded year 6 SATS which he is doing this week.

There is no way you should have to go back to tribunal - the criteria for a statutory assessment of needs and the criteria for a statement to be written are almost the same. Therefore the LEA should not be hinting that they intend not to write a statement. It's unbelievable actually.