lindy-lou

my garden visitor!!

i woke up,went down to make a cuppa,opened the back door for the pup and look what was in my garden!!!

parrott001.jpg

parrott002.jpg

parrott003.jpg

parrott004.jpg

parrott006.jpg

parrott008.jpg

isnt it beautiful!!

Wow,i was absolutley gobsmacked,what a lovely way to start the day! :D

AHHHHHH pretty polly! pretty polly!! Did you manage to catch it??? I hope it doesnt get caught by a cat or attacked by other birds! :( It is beautiful though I wish something like that would turn up in my garden, the only thing I get in mine at the moment are half eaten mice and rats!!!! :sick::sick: Neighbours got mice in their shed and my cats think its a 'eat all you like' buffet!! :o Hope the parrot finds its way home! Lizzie xxx

Edited by lizzie

I cant catch it,i dont have a cage or anything!!I rang the RSPCA who have taken my name and number for if its reported missing and rang local vets too,i think its come to my garden as i have a lot of bird feeders in my trees at the back of the garden,i have 3 cats so i dont want to try and entice it further in or it may end up as lunch :( It has been and gone 3 times but i havent seen it for a few hours so im hoping its gone home now, :pray: Its made my day!!

Wow, I didn't realise Cumbria was THAT exotic! We have a Robin that visits our garden quite a lot; looks like the Derbyshire Dales has quite a lot to catch up on with you lot!!!!

I reckon it's just a collared dove that made the mistake of flying over a paintball skirmish :lol::lol::lol:

Actually, there was a thing i read a few years ago about exotic animals that are now found in UK, and parrots are among them (escapees from outdoor aviary etc)... God knows how they survive our winters, but they must do somehow...

There is of course the famous Wallaby collection (somewhere in west country if memory serves...), and the Sussex Wild Boar population has not only increased massively but also migrated through Kent, Hampshire and Dorset too...

And then there's the 'Missing Link' boy of Mid Kent... Now safely tucked up for the night, I hope :lol::lol::lol:

BD :D

It's a Golden Mantled Rossela - GMR (not sure of the spelling). Stunning looking birds but they have one heck of a powerful bite on them. I Knmow that only too well...from experience! I wouldn't advice tring to catch it unless you can safely approach it from behind and use a towel (throw it over). Wear some thick gloves and get it in a cage pronto.

Guest hallyscomet

Ooh thats so cute Lindy Loo,

See you will be amazed what will come into your back yard if you put birdfeeders and water out. I didnt see birds in my garden until I did this. The only problem is the possum loves it too and when it comes running along the wire from one side of the street to my house it sounds like someone wheeling one of those wheelie bins (do you have large garbage bins on wheels :huh: thats a wheelie bin over here in case you wondered.)

Why dont you all put some food out, you can buy chunky blocks of seed with a hook over here to hook into the tree, they attract the exotics.

Thanks for the piccy Lindy Loo. I am surprised you were able to get so close to take so many photos, the Lorrikeets would have bolted as soon as they saw me wandering over to them here.

H.

Guest hallyscomet

Thought I would throw in a Kookaburra laugh :lol::lol: sometimes this is my alarm bell in the morning :wacko: usually at the crack of dawn :blink:

http://teachit.acreekps.vic.edu.au/animals/kookaburra.htm

We were visiting some friends in New Zealand once and we took them over this really lovely CD with music and Australian birds, and the kookaburra laugh, and when they had visitors they would play a prank on them and just play the part with the Kookaburra and conned their friends into beleiving they had a kookaburra an Australian native bird :lol::lol: until they got out onto the verandah to see the CD player :devil:

H.

Edited by hallyscomet

Ooh thats so cute Lindy Loo,

See you will be amazed what will come into your back yard if you put birdfeeders and water out. I didnt see birds in my garden until I did this. The only problem is the possum loves it too and when it comes running along the wire from one side of the street to my house it sounds like someone wheeling one of those wheelie bins (do you have large garbage bins on wheels :huh: thats a wheelie bin over here in case you wondered.)

Why dont you all put some food out, you can buy chunky blocks of seed with a hook over here to hook into the tree, they attract the exotics.

Thanks for the piccy Lindy Loo. I am surprised you were able to get so close to take so many photos, the Lorrikeets would have bolted as soon as they saw me wandering over to them here.

H.

Yes hailey we do have wheelie bins here :lol: I was amazed i got so close too,which makes me think its a tame pet,even my eldest daughter went out and took more pics!!And yes phas lots of people have said it is a gold manteled rosella,so im pretty sure it must be!!Hasnt been back while ive been watching :(

Thought I would throw in a Kookaburra laugh :lol::lol: sometimes this is my alarm bell in the morning :wacko: usually at the crack of dawn :blink:

http://teachit.acreekps.vic.edu.au/animals/kookaburra.htm

We were visiting some friends in New Zealand once and we took them over this really lovely CD with music and Australian birds, and the kookaburra laugh, and when they had visitors they would play a prank on them and just play the part with the Kookaburra and conned their friends into beleiving they had a kookaburra an Australian native bird :lol::lol: until they got out onto the verandah to see the CD player :devil:

H.

Does your Kookaburra live in an Old Gum Tree? I remember learning that song at primary school :lol::lol:

you'd be surprised what we have living wild down in kent there are 5,000 ringneck parakeets living in a huge colony, although along with everyone else i would agree this is probably an escapee as i am sure a colony of these would have been noticed

Guest hallyscomet
I've seen one of those mythical black panther cats in Northumberland near Otterburn, it was the size of a small horse!

They have one of those in the Blue Mountains people keep saying they are spotting it, and lots of people dont believe it some just say its a myth, and other say its the locals trying to scare of the tourists :lol::devil:

Who knows. :)

H.

Guest hallyscomet
Does your Kookaburra live in an Old Gum Tree? I remember learning that song at primary school :lol::lol:

Hi Daisy,

How could I forget that song too, yes we had to sing it in Primary school, and they put split us up in groups and make us sing it a few seconds after the first group so there were about 4 different groups singing at different times and ending like an echo, was lots of fun. :)

Here it is

http://www.guidesnsw.org.au/properties/glengarry/fun.htm

But we used to change the second verse for a laugh.

Kookaburra sits on electric wires

Bobbing up and down with its pants on fire

Ouch Kookaburra Ouch Kookaburra

Gay your life must be :P:devil:

H.

What a beautiful bird :D

We have a Red Kite that flies very low over the houses here.

Birds are magnificent beasties aren't they? B)

I'd agree with you on that Jonathon. When we travel to France I love nothing more than driving through the mountains and seeing the wild birds of prey hunting...breathtaking.

I think the most beautiful bird in our country is the king fisher. If you have ever seen one in real life they are magnificent a true miracle of nature. :wub:

I love all birds though, life would be so dull without them.