Sign in to follow this  
JsMum

i have purchased a new book on ASD

Just bought a new book and it says a different beginning to what I thought ASD was

I thought it was called Autistic Spectrum Disorder but the book is called

Autism spectrum disorder.

I would also like to know if any one has read it and what they thought to it?

It by Chantal Sicile Kira.

I am flicking throw it and its really interesting and starting to see now that there is some surprises in this book J was a happy easy baby and had a pretty good routine then at 2 and half that is when his behaviour started to deteriate and his speech was very delayed.

I thought that to have a child with Autism the child had to have problems as a baby but this book it shares other parents stories and there is some in there where they had children with autism but as a baby they where developing fine, but when they turned two three then there was problems.

Is this correct?

the sensory information is also very interesting and really beginning to see things more clearly with taste, smell and touch, hearing and sight, and J has a lot of problems with all these though his hearing has been checked five times. and normal.

his eyes tested too even perceptive and that turned out to be very good too but gets upset with supermarket lights, flashes in cameras, and strobes and he is not got epelepsy.

So much to take in but its like a light has been switched on in my head.

so learning a bit more now.

Funny enough when I was buying this book, J was on the floor looking at a big book on tia chi and then some people got close to him and he moved to another part of the shop, and hudled in the corner looking at his book but making sure no one could get close to him.

I have known for a while he doesnt like been crowded in but this was like really noticable and at that time I picked up this book.

anyway would like some feedback on the book and if you thought it was a good book.

JsMum

Hiya :)

I've got this book, and while there is a lot of good stuff in it, I wasn't too keen on the 'curing' autism bits.

Just my personal thoughts...

Bid :bat:

Hiya :)

I've got this book, and while there is a lot of good stuff in it, I wasn't too keen on the 'curing' autism bits.

Just my personal thoughts...

Bid :bat:

I understand that bit, could you relate to the book with your situation?

JsMum

Mmmmm...

I've never had the money to explore all the various therapies, etc, so that sort of put me off to be honest. And she's big on ABA, about which I have serious doubts.

The good bits for me were the sections on the Grief Cycle, and how parents react to a dx. I photocopied this to give to my mum...

How did you relate to it??

Bid :)

Mmmmm...

I've never had the money to explore all the various therapies, etc, so that sort of put me off to be honest. And she's big on ABA, about which I have serious doubts.

The good bits for me were the sections on the Grief Cycle, and how parents react to a dx. I photocopied this to give to my mum...

How did you relate to it??

Well i am kind of still reading it and though I am reading about other peoples experiences and the sensory stuff is good I wanted a bit more information on general symtoms of ASD and specific signs of ASD.

not got to the ABA got a bit lost at that point but i was only flicking throw. still i will catch up but i dont read very well as i loose thred, so i do take a bit longer than most at reading.

Have you any recommendations of a really good english related ASD book and easy to read.

JsMum

For AS, I would still recommend Tony Attwood 'Asperger's Syndrome: A Guide for Parents and Professionals'. It is very easy to read, and each chapter has a section at the end with bullet points of the information contained in that chapter so that you can read that for a short summary.

Sorry, I'm not sure of a more general book that's easy to read on the autistic spectrum in general :(

Any ideas, anyone else?

I thought that to have a child with Autism the child had to have problems as a baby but this book it shares other parents stories and there is some in there where they had children with autism but as a baby they where developing fine, but when they turned two three then there was problems.

Is this correct?

This is an interesting question. With our 6 year old we had no problems at all in the first two years of his life, he initially came to the attention of Doctors etc. because he didn't talk at all until he was 3. He ate, drank slept etc. as normal, was happy to be put to bed without protest etc.

Looking back on it he we 'Too easy' in that he didn't get frustrated/become difficult even when it was appropriate for him to do so, and warning signs were there, but they didn't take the form of 'problems' until later.

Simon

I am flicking throw it and its really interesting and starting to see now that there is some surprises in this book J was a happy easy baby and had a pretty good routine then at 2 and half that is when his behaviour started to deteriate and his speech was very delayed.

Is this correct?

Sometimes autism doesn't become apparent until 18 months-3 years (in rare cases, even older, but this would be considered 'atypical'). Sometimes children can suddenly regress. This might be why autism has been linked with the MMR, it might just be a coincidence.

Hi folks,

I posted about this book some time ago. I agree with what Bid has said but I think it helps if parents are informed about everything and make their own decisions. Chantal Sicile Kira is American and they do tend to lean towards therapies and 'cures'.

Having said all that, I think this is an excellent book for parents of newly diagnosed children. If I had to write a book it would be similar to this. You can read my review of this book on Amazon, dated -November 18, 2003.

Nellie xx